Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
peter_mcsharry

Floating floor over radiant heat.

Peter McSharry
11 years ago

Hi folks,
My wife and I are building a new house and have decided to heat the whole house using Warmboard radiant heated subfloor. In terms of what to put over that, the Warmboard folks have a list of hardwood manufacturers who have certified their wood planks over radiant floors. When I went to Lumber Liquidators, however, they told me that they won't warranty any installation over radiant unless its engineered or floating floors. That's confusion #1.

So lets say that I want to install the finished floor myself in the whole house and decide to use a bamboo "clic together" hardwood so that all the boards can expand and compress together. My question is this: Part of my hallway upstairs is like a bridge where it's open to the 1st floor on bth sides. How the heck do you install a floating floor there where there's no baseboard molding to allow expansion? The guy at Lumber Liquidators told me I'd have to use two stair moldings on the edges and that these pieces overlap the floating boards. Does that make sense? I've never seen stair molding that overlaps the abutting hardwood plank.

Sorry for the long post. I appreciate your thoughts in advance.