Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dining Room Floor dilemma

Posted by DreamweaverMAM (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 14, 14 at 13:49

I would like to get new flooring for our dining room. The dining room is accessed through two wide open doorways--one from the kitchen (where we have Duraceramic tile in Tobacco Clay) and one from an open area which extends from our living room (where we have 30-yr. old natural red oak floors. The kitchen tile also abutts the oak flooring. I had thought about extending oak flooring into the dining room, but the dining room furniture wouldn't contrast expecially well on natural oak. I thought about extending the Duraceramic tile into the dining room - but not sure if sliding of chairs would cause scratching issues, and not entirely sure it's the look I want in the dining room.

Another option I thought about might be to do a border of hardwood in the dining room with the oak to match adjacent area and then do a central rectangle under the table in a contrasting stain that has similar brown tones to the kitchen tile.

I'm interested in feedback and ideas.What would you do?

Next project: replace the blue carpet photo FloorTransition.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dining Room Floor dilemma

I would continue the oak into the dining room and find an area rug to put under the table. That will give a visual separation between the dining set and the floor so that the similarity in their tones becomes a non-issue.

o

I agree with Jaded, to continue the hardwood with a rug and if you don't like the idea of a rug you also can use tile under the table with hardwood surround. This was one of our nooks where we did that.
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Sorry, photo is so small.

This post was edited by xc60 on Sat, Feb 15, 14 at 1:26

o

If youre worried about having each room defined as individuals you could always stain the dining rm a different color if you went with HW.

o

Thanks for the ideas. Continuing the oak and using a rug makes a great deal of sense. I was trying to get away from a carpet in the dining room, but it probably would look best. Tile in the center area is yet another idea to consider. Thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here