Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kathec_gw

Engineered wood questions

kathec
13 years ago

We're planning to install Shaw's Vicksburg handscraped engineered floors in our kitchen and family room. Install will be over a concrete slab. We already have this product in the entryway, installed by the previous owner, it is glued down. We've decided to glue down for the new install to keep them consistent. They won't touch, but will be separated by only a small tile transition. Close enough to notice differences in height, sound, and feel underfoot.

So, the flooring store suggests Bostik's Best claiming it is the best for this application as it has a built in moisture barrier. We're in Dallas area so we get some extremes Los in the teens in winter, well over one hundred in summer with high humidity. I've read online that Mapei 990 is better. Can anyone give me pros and cons for each?

At this point, we haven't decided who we'll have do the install. We've only spoken to this local flooring store, he has the best price on the material, but his install price seems high. We have a GC that we've worked with

before that we want to get a quote from or we might do it ourselves.

Any help would be appreciated.

Comments (4)

• glennsfc
    13 years ago

Unless you test for moisture vapor transmission, you will be "taking a shot in the dark" as to whether or not your slab is dry enough for an adhesive install.

Bostik's Best is not classified by the manufacturer as being a moisture retarder. Bostik makes another one-part urethane adhesive that does act as a moisture retarder. There are other adhesives in the marketplace that have moisture retarding capabilities, as well as products that are specifically liquid-applied moisture retarder membranes that once dry you can apply an approved adhesive over.

If you attempt DIY, then read all you can about substrate preparation, as well as all installation guidelines and cleanup procedures. Do not assume that your GC has enough experience as a flooring expert to give you a successful job.

As for cost issues...these wood flooring adhesives are not inexpensive; expect to pay hundreds of dollars for the adhesive alone. You can get access to professional floor products at a floor materials supplier or by purchasing what you want through an established and knowledgeable flooring dealer/store.

• Laurie
    13 years ago

Dh and I did a glue down install of engineered wood on our concrete slab. We live in So. California where our temps are very mild. We like to do a lot of projects DIY. My husband has done all our outdoor brick work, kitchen tiling of floor and backsplash and various other projects. We both agree that the install of our wood flooring was by far the most difficult job we have ever done!

The wood, glue, saws, etc that we used were great. The hard part was all the details...The work to prepare the concrete (get it flat everywhere) and then the MVP, then racking the floor (doing a dry run of how you want the wood laid down, marking each piece, marking & planing out the cuts, etc.... Then, after the details...there's the toll on your muscles during and after of many many hours of work put into the gluing install process.

I bow down to anyone who installs wood flooring for their business. It takes a lot of skill, experience, and a strong back and legs/knees. Don't just go with an installer because they have the lowest bid!

I think we did ok. So far, it's been 1-1/2 years and the floor is doing great. The glue we used was Bostik's Best as we heard from several sources that it's "the best".
    We also put Bostik's Moisture Vapor Protection (MVP) on several areas of our slab (a day or two prior to install) to give a little extra moisture protection.

I hope you will get some responses from the many professional and knowledgeable flooring people on this forum. I am not an expert at all and only giving you my opinion.

Good luck with your floor and keep us updated on your progress. Include pictures if you can!

• glennsfc
    13 years ago

Good advice from Laurie. Note that they used Bostik's liquid-applied MVP prior to the application of the adhesive.

• kathec
    Original Author
    13 years ago

glensfc,
    "As for cost issues...these wood flooring adhesives are not inexpensive; expect to pay hundreds of dollars for the adhesive alone. You can get access to professional floor products at a floor materials supplier or by purchasing what you want through an established and knowledgeable flooring dealer/store."

The recommendation for Bostik's Best came from the floor store sales person. That's what they use. But, you're right, I've checked the website. The product that is both adhesive and moisture barrier is the Bostik Ultra Set Single Step. If we go with Bostik brand products, is the separate MVP and adhesive better than an all-in-one product?

Also, you mention professional floor products. What would those be? What do you use and recommend? I realize you get what you pay for, but at the same time, some products are priced the same from different manufacturers. Are they also equal in quality?

I want to be sure that I'm educated in what are the best products to use. I understand the costs involved, I don't mind paying extra for quality products. I just don't want to get shorted on the quality of adhesive. We're planning to keep this floor for a good, long time.

DH and I have installed floors before, this is the 4th house we've owned. Admittedly, we've never done a glue down install before only floating wood and laminate. We're not getting younger or less busy, so the DIY is not very likely. The GC, I'm not sure if that's the correct term for the company we've used, is actually a company that has skilled labor on staff. They don't sub-contract. The glue-down flooring is among their list of provided services.