Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ilin_gw

Cleaning hardwood with Windex?

IliN
10 years ago

We just had our floors refinished 5 months ago and I have tried a few different methods of cleaning (Bona floor cleaner, Pledge 4in1, vinegar + water) They would all leave a weird cloudy film on my floor and when walked on, we would have footprint marks everywhere. I tried cleaning it with some Windex and my floors look amazing and shiny. Could it damage my floors with long term use though?

Edited to add: The finish is winwax dark walnut with 2-3 coats of polyurethane on it.

This post was edited by IliN on Wed, Feb 19, 14 at 13:32

Comments (17)

• User
    10 years ago

I'm going to take a guess that the Pledge product is the culprit. If you used the Pledge it probably left something behind. Neither the alcohol in the Bona nor the vinegar and water would remove it but the ammonia in the Windex would.

Unless your floor is on it's last legs and you're trying to avoid resanding for a short time, you should never use anything that claims to add a shine or protection to your wood floor.

Read the description and a review on this site.
    http://www.drugstore.com/pledge-4in-1-wood-floor-cleaner-citrus/qxp193247

I had an experience with residue on a floor that I was able to remove with ammonia based Windex.

Bona cleaner is alcohol based and WILL NOT leave a residue.
    There are two types of Windex, ammonia and vinegar. The ammonia could potentially harm the floor. Ammonia can chemically alter the wood and make it darker. Ever seen a pet urine stain? That's from ammonia. Since your floor is dark you might not see the darkening.
    I used to recommend vinegar, but for some reason, manufacturers have moved away from it.

If the floor is now free of residue, go back to the Bona cleaner.

• IliN
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes I did indeed use the Pledge first... I am so annoyed because on the package it specifically says NO RESIDUE or film. UGH!
    The Windex seems to have been the only one to be able to take that film off. I will try the Bona again once the Pledge film is 100% off. Thanks!

• patty_cakes
    10 years ago

I've noticed a film when I have cleaned the windows, so I would imagine the same is happening on your floors. I have wood and use Bono, and even though the floors were a matte finish to begin with, seem to be getting duller. My DD has dark Brazilian cherry floors and her housekeeper has been using Murphy's Oil the last 7 years, and they look as shiny as when they were installed, and I don't ever notice a film. She said she uses 'very' little, but didn't exactly know how much.

I have always heard MO should not be used on wood, but maybe it's all in the amount. Read the reviews. ;)

• IliN
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Tried the Bona again after the Windex and it was better but still not as good as the Windex! WIll try again in a few weeks. I have heard of Murphy's Oil will check it out too.

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

Murphy's oil soap will leave an oily residue on your floors.

You will be right back to the yucky film.

• andee_gw
    10 years ago

You should clean your wood floor with water only, and then maybe a little vinegar as a final wipe. As you're seeing (and will see with the Murphy's Oil), everything else is not suitable, or not necessary (alcohol in Bona).

• Raffaele Fusciello
    7 years ago

Hi

let me describe my problem.

By mistake i have applied Bona woodfloor polish on (luckly) just a plank of my laminate. It is showing the streaks that I cannot remove with water and terry cloth; I am aftraid to use vinegair because it is acid, neither ammonia or windex because I think they are abrasive at least a little. The streaks can be seen only if I look against the light, that is it is not visible under "normal" light.

the floor has never had polish and/or wax applied to it. Just by mistake I bought the Bona polish instead of cleaner (that I regularly uae). I am tempted to wait it out till the residue goes away by time and cleaning. What do you think?

thanks

Ralph

• Mark D
    7 years ago

@The Couture Floor Company Regarding your recommendation, How does Ammonia-Free Windex compare to Bona or Water w/ vinegar? I've tried many products, and specifically with Bona, after a good cleaning, if I take a paper towel, lightly damp, and rub in circles, I get dirt...

• PRO
    Cancork Floor Inc.
    7 years ago

@Matt L...view my response on your flooring dilemma. It explains it all.

• tagoetz
    6 years ago

@The Couture Floor Company.......what response did you provide Matt L? I am interested because I have been using various combinations of water/vinegar/alcohol on my laminate floors for over 2 yrs. I consistently vacuum (no rotary beater), after which I use a micro fiber cloth to sweep. Then I lightly spritz the solution, use a micro fiber cloth to clean & a different micro fiber cloth to buff because it continually streaks & I have to buff for several minutes in each 3x3 location to get rid of the streaks. A flooring store recommended "Stain X Pro" - it didn't streak but did leave a film so even after buffing & letting the floor dry for 60 min, once I walked on it - footprints galore & I was wearing my "inside" sandals. PLUS, after using the w/v/a solution &/or the Stain-X Pro solution, if I took a paper towel & rubbed....the paper towel came up almost black with dirt. So like I said in the beginning - what advice did you provide Matt L? I am assuming you indicated to use an ammonia-free Windex.....do you recommend using this solution full strength or a combination of it with water? If so, what is the solution to water? Meanwhile, the flooring store that sold me the other solution said that using any type of Windex on laminate floor will just cause it to breakdown more quickly, i.e., cause the photographic image to lift & peel sooner. I would appreciate hearing your opinion & guidance.

• PRO
    User
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I'm not familiar with Stain X but I did google it after reading your response and it specifically states that it does not leave a residue nor will it build up. Ammonia Free windex does not streak or leave a build up which is one of the reasons why we recommend it. I do not recommend mixing it with water. But we also don't recommend cleaning your floors ALL the time. A spot clean and wipe down is really all that is needed.

For black dirt to be wiping off even after cleaning is a bit concerning. What color are your laminate floors?

The ammonia free windex helps cut through the film that many cleaners leave behind. Never never put an oil based floor cleaner or a polish on your floor that promises to restore its glow.

I'm not sure why the store would say that the windex will cause the laminate to peel. This has never happened to any of our clients or myself personally. I have hardwood floors throughout my home and 1 room of laminate. I only use windex on my floors. If you have been using ammonia/vinegar/alcohol diluted with water and that didn't cause the laminate to peel, I highly doubt a spritz of ammonia free window cleaner every once in a while will cause the laminate to peel.

The thing with Bona is that some people LOVE it and swear by it while many, many others HATE it and will never use it again. I have spoken with so many clients where they said the CLEANER left a film. The polish is notorious for leaving behind a film and the polish is not the same thing as a cleaner. Both are typically sold RIGHT next to each other in the store so it is very easy to grab the polish instead of the cleaner.

I have been waiting for years for Windex to come out with a floor cleaner. They now have a multipurpose cleaner. If a windex rep happens to be reading this, please come out with a good floor cleaner. :)

Before you apply the ammonia free windex, test an area of flooring in an inconspicuous area before cleaning all the floors with it.

• tagoetz
    6 years ago

Thanks for your quick reply. Yes even though Stain X says no residue - not sure what else would be causing shoe prints. Anyway I’ve now tried the ammonia free Windex & it worked great. A paper towel still brings up dirt though... I think it’s because the flooring has these tiny little grooves in it - maybe to make it look more real like? and I think the dirt is trapped in these grooves. I’ve never used a polish or Bona on the floors. I pretty much have only ever used water and vinegar with a little bit of alcohol about once a month... maybe after all these years it’s just built up dirt that the w/v/a solution wasn’t getting up. Again though the Windex seems to have worked with no streaking or footprint issues- maybe it eventually it will get rid of the dirt in the grooves. Thanks again for the advice!

• tuki1
    4 years ago

I too get a black residue from my hardwood floors. I've tried everything but will now try the ammonia free Windex. Thank you.

• tagoetz
    4 years ago

Yes, it works but I've learned.....you have to vacuum/dust the floors first or you'll end up rubbing in dust/dirt & then it takes extra work to clean the floors. & don't get lazy like I did a few times (!) & put off cleaning your floors frequently..... it also adds to the level effort to get them clean (obviously!).

• pelletis
    4 years ago

I thought the housecleaners had ruined my floor. It was filmy, made footprints and lost the satin finish. I used regular windex with sponge and wiped with a microfiber cloth it is like new. I never would have believed it. Thank you so much.

• Lesley Wolff
    3 years ago

Did you find a solution same issur