Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cleaning hardwood with Windex?

Posted by IliN (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 19, 14 at 13:20

We just had our floors refinished 5 months ago and I have tried a few different methods of cleaning (Bona floor cleaner, Pledge 4in1, vinegar + water) They would all leave a weird cloudy film on my floor and when walked on, we would have footprint marks everywhere. I tried cleaning it with some Windex and my floors look amazing and shiny. Could it damage my floors with long term use though?

Edited to add: The finish is winwax dark walnut with 2-3 coats of polyurethane on it.

This post was edited by IliN on Wed, Feb 19, 14 at 13:32

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cleaning hardwood with Windex?

I'm going to take a guess that the Pledge product is the culprit. If you used the Pledge it probably left something behind. Neither the alcohol in the Bona nor the vinegar and water would remove it but the ammonia in the Windex would.

Unless your floor is on it's last legs and you're trying to avoid resanding for a short time, you should never use anything that claims to add a shine or protection to your wood floor.

Read the description and a review on this site.
http://www.drugstore.com/pledge-4in-1-wood-floor-cleaner-citrus/qxp193247

I had an experience with residue on a floor that I was able to remove with ammonia based Windex.

Bona cleaner is alcohol based and WILL NOT leave a residue.
There are two types of Windex, ammonia and vinegar. The ammonia could potentially harm the floor. Ammonia can chemically alter the wood and make it darker. Ever seen a pet urine stain? That's from ammonia. Since your floor is dark you might not see the darkening.
I used to recommend vinegar, but for some reason, manufacturers have moved away from it.

If the floor is now free of residue, go back to the Bona cleaner.

o

Yes I did indeed use the Pledge first... I am so annoyed because on the package it specifically says NO RESIDUE or film. UGH!
The Windex seems to have been the only one to be able to take that film off. I will try the Bona again once the Pledge film is 100% off. Thanks!

o

I've noticed a film when I have cleaned the windows, so I would imagine the same is happening on your floors. I have wood and use Bono, and even though the floors were a matte finish to begin with, seem to be getting duller. My DD has dark Brazilian cherry floors and her housekeeper has been using Murphy's Oil the last 7 years, and they look as shiny as when they were installed, and I don't ever notice a film. She said she uses 'very' little, but didn't exactly know how much.

I have always heard MO should not be used on wood, but maybe it's all in the amount. Read the reviews. ;)

o

Tried the Bona again after the Windex and it was better but still not as good as the Windex! WIll try again in a few weeks. I have heard of Murphy's Oil will check it out too.

o

Murphy's oil soap will leave an oily residue on your floors.

You will be right back to the yucky film.

o

You should clean your wood floor with water only, and then maybe a little vinegar as a final wipe. As you're seeing (and will see with the Murphy's Oil), everything else is not suitable, or not necessary (alcohol in Bona).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here