Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scubated

Foyer, tile or hardwood

scubated
16 years ago

We are adding hardwood to our kitchen remodel and want to do the foyer of our center hall colonial as well. The dining and formal living rooms which are on either side of the foyer already have hardwood. The foyer now has vinyl tiles. My question is do I replace that with hardwood also so all hardwood flows together to all the spaces on the 1st floor or do I replace the vinyl tile with ceramic or marble tiles. Which is a more upscale look and how important is it to have a continuous flooring look?

Comments (6)

• pbrisjar
    16 years ago

Well, my husband's sister (who is a real estate broker) says that the foyer should match the adjoining rooms. But then, I don't really trust her tastes. I'd say go with what you like. Natural stone floors are really popular (and for good reason) but you have to be careful with your stone selection (just as you have to with wood). One thing to keep in mind is that you have to have a very rigid floor in order to support tile. Take a look at this: http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/deflecto.pl
    and all the content around it.

I was planning on a natural stone floor for my kitchen and entry until I researched this and found out we'd have to essentially rebuild the entire sub floor in order to have it. We're going with hardwoods throughout instead and saving the stone for our great room add-on and new fireplace hearth.

• green-zeus
    16 years ago

You could do a nice medallion with tiles around it. I like that look.

• Shannon01
    16 years ago

I like to think of resale when doing projects. Always nice to do what you want but I like to consider others a little in my decision. I have an open floorplan but will be doing the entryway, down the hall and into the laundry and bath, all slate tile. The formal living/dining, kitchen/familyroom will all be laminate. The office which is off the tiled hallway will also be laminate. The areas that are going to be tile are all high traffic areas. Laminate or wood would get tore up with kids and dogs. The dirt that comes in from the garage would make a mess. I know this because the current vinyl and carpet in these areas are almost white and filthy and the laminate that is in the entryway is scratched up. Tiling the entryway makes it seem like a separate space when dealing with open floorplans, if done right. If you pick materials that blend well with each other your look will appeal to everyone. The medallion idea is awesome and I almost considered it myself. The outlet stores have them for 2-300 and can really make a statement. Rather than folks walking in and seeing the separate flooring, they will marvel at the lovely medallion and feel like they are walking into a lovely space, then they will flow towards the other rooms being equally impressed.
    Good luck.

• Sherrie Lagasse Frisone
    16 years ago

Which outlet stores are you referring to that sell medallions for 2-300? I have been looking they are quite expensive.

• ceramictec
    16 years ago

depending on where you live with snow & sand.....I would lean towards the harder tile.