Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Correct direction to lay wooden floor?

Posted by tonyp_06 (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 10, 07 at 13:03

Im renovating my apt and its getting time to install the wood floors. I went with engineered mirage floors for my little 1bd. My question is are there standard ways you are supposed to lay down the floors? Ive always thought that the direction the floors should be laid down in is the same direction as the longest side of the room which makes it look bigger? Any thoughts.

My problem is what to do with the kitchen and little hallway space i have between the bath & bedroom. This areas would require me to lay the floor vertical vs horizontal in the floorplan below.

My little 1bd floorplan

Should these planks also be laid in the same way as the rest of the wood in the living room and bedroom(left-right) which might look a bit odd as the number of planks would be a lot more and maybe a little distractin although it would be consistent with the rest of the wood
OR
do i lay them (top-bottom) in which case they follow the longest edge of the wall but are different to the direction of the other wood. Will it look odd where they join meetup with the other wood?

thx

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Correct direction to lay wooden floor?

Are you on a slab or do you have plywood and floor joist underneath? If you have joist the flooring is run perpendicular or diagonal to the joist unless you have at least a 1" thick substrate.

o

Anyone have a straight answer. I kno its a silly question.

Im on top of plywood btw

o

Looking at your floorplan, I would lay the floors where they run from the kitchen to the balcony and from the bath to the bedroom window. (All the same direction) Chances are you are not going to have to worry about the direction of your joists if you are doing a glue down or floating installation. Straight answer. Just my $.02

o

Our wood floors were laid perpendicular to the joists. So, if the joists run the length of the room (as ours do) the wood would be laid across the room (as ours was).

o

tonyp_06, You asked for "correct direction". Install the flooring perpendicular to the joist or diagonal, unless you want to beef up the subfloor to install parallel with the joist. If it's floating you can install any direction you prefer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here