Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Beach house flooring ideas

Posted by jejvtr (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 19, 11 at 12:50

-Looking for low cost, low maintenance flooring for an up coming project at our beach home in Me -

- I've ruled out tile, laminate, hardwood, linoleum - for various reasons

This will not be high end - and we feel fortunate that we can tear down an existing outbuilding to re-build.

Someone just gave me the idea of a paint grade ply & paint - for living area & bedrooms

Will tile bathroom

Looking for opinions

thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Beach house flooring ideas

Paint...good, long-lasting and inexpensive. Can be decorated anyway you might want, is easily renewed, but you knew most of that already...yes?

o
RE: Beach house flooring ideas

Ply would work. I wanted something a little more traditional looking so...

I used decking boards on my beach place in ME. They were $5+ each for 4/4 by 6" by 16' boards. "Four quarter" is roughly 1" thick. Not a typical "one-by-" that's actually 3/4" thick. Rough sawn. A little too rough for bare feet, so I ran the show side through a planer (or they could be lightly belt sanded, say 80 grit), then primed and painted.

They do have S4S (sanded or smooth and planed/jointed on all four sides of the board) 1" by 6" but they're probably $10-$12. An S4S 1" by 6" will be 3/4" thick.

"Decking boards" is not "deck" like a backyard deck. But "deck" as in roof sheathing. How's that for New England Nomenclature.

Or depending on which route you want to go, just ask if they have rough-sawn or S4S one-by-sixes, 16' long.

Or just use plywood! lol

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here