Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alisampam

Maple vs. White Oak vs. Ash

alisampam
10 years ago

Hello!

I've decided to go against the grain (at least according to my contractor) and not get red oak floors. :)

Given that I want a light, natural floor, what type of wood would you recommend between maple, white oak, and ash? It'll probably be in a 3" pre-finished plank size.

I have three cats who are quite active running around and kicking things off of tables. I'm interested in how each of the three woods shows/hides dents and scratches (especially maple), and if they change color over time.

Also--
Does ash look too busy and patterned on a floor?
How light is natural white oak on average? Pictures show great variation from light to medium. I'll probably be buying from Lumber Liquidators.

Any photos and recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (7)

• rwiegand
    10 years ago

I put down birdseye maple in a "natural" (eg not all white) grade. 2-1/4, 3, and 4" random width with a walnut and cherry pictureframe border, site finished with Bona Traffic (by me). If the picture loads you can see what it looked like when it first went down. Some would call it extremely busy; we like it, and it gets a "wow" from visitors--it's not so in your face with rugs and furniture breaking up the space. It hides all manner of evil and our 3-8 cats (residents and fosters) can't damage it. Almost all woods and most finishes darken with time, oak probably a little more than maple. I don't have much experience with ash.

• grannysmith18
    10 years ago

Both my daughter and a friend of mine got maple for that very reason, that they wanted a light color floor, and both are sorry now. It just hasn't been as durable as they'd expect. It gets dented too easily. You really should do some Google research on line. I wish we had.
    As for white oak - again, double check what I'm saying, but my understanding is that the color is counter-intuitive, that white oak is darker than red oak. I'm just saying, make sure you check.

• alisampam
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks -- durability (or at least hiding the dents) is important, and after your input + research, I will cross maple off the list of contenders.

Does anyone here have experience with Ash or White Oak? Do those types hide dents/scratches as well as Red Oak?

Appreciate your help!

• rwiegand
    10 years ago

We've had two houses with hard maple (Acer saccharum) and one with white oak. We treat our floors hard (rolling grand pianos around on them, for example) and the maple stood up much better. For reference here are the Janka hardness scores of the different woods (higher is harder, the test involves pressing a steel ball into the wood and measuring the depth vs pressure.)

long leaf yellow pine-- 870
    red oak -- 1260-1290
    Ash -- 1320
    NA white oak -- 1360
    hard maple -- 1450
    ironwood -- 3680

Here is a link that might be useful: wood hardness chart

• kayakboy
    10 years ago

If you like a little pattern on your light floor, look at hickory also.

harder than maple and oak.

• Laura Savino
    3 months ago
    last modified: 3 months ago

I've had Natural Maple for over 15 years now, and the maple is still just beautiful.

All wood will ding and dent a tiny bit with use - just have to expect and accept this.

Maple is harder and more forgiving than Ash.