Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
medha_nanal

Engineered wood vs laminate : durability, renewability question

homey_bird
13 years ago

Hi,

We want to replace our existing carpet with a floating surface. We are on a concrete slab, in mild-weather (SF Bay Area), and this is our main house level. Giving a wood-like look+feel to the floor is very important to us and we're considering high-quality laminate like Pergo and engineered wood as our options.

So far, considering the pros and cons, we're leaning towards engineered hardwood. I like the qualities discussed here of wood -- like warmer feel on the feet, great value add etc. At the same time, I learnt here that laminate scratches too -- which came to me as a surprise because I'd been considering it more "durable". However, wood being a natural surface, will be prone to getting dings and marks and I am wondering how it can be maintained successfully. I also learnt here that engineered wood can be sanded but not refinished.

Thus my question to the experts on this forum is: if I choose an engineered wood, pre-finished floor, then would it need regular sanding, or are they made to withstand normal levels of wear and tear and keep looking nice? Most of these come with multiple protective coats and 25yr warranty etc. but what does that really mean? What has been your experience if you have seen engineered wood? We're a typical family and I do not expect above-average assault on the flooring.

Thanks in advance!

Comments (5)