Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Engineered wood vs laminate : durability, renewability question

Posted by homey_bird (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 24, 11 at 11:53

Hi,

We want to replace our existing carpet with a floating surface. We are on a concrete slab, in mild-weather (SF Bay Area), and this is our main house level. Giving a wood-like look+feel to the floor is very important to us and we're considering high-quality laminate like Pergo and engineered wood as our options.

So far, considering the pros and cons, we're leaning towards engineered hardwood. I like the qualities discussed here of wood -- like warmer feel on the feet, great value add etc. At the same time, I learnt here that laminate scratches too -- which came to me as a surprise because I'd been considering it more "durable". However, wood being a natural surface, will be prone to getting dings and marks and I am wondering how it can be maintained successfully. I also learnt here that engineered wood can be sanded but not refinished.

Thus my question to the experts on this forum is: if I choose an engineered wood, pre-finished floor, then would it need regular sanding, or are they made to withstand normal levels of wear and tear and keep looking nice? Most of these come with multiple protective coats and 25yr warranty etc. but what does that really mean? What has been your experience if you have seen engineered wood? We're a typical family and I do not expect above-average assault on the flooring.

Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Engineered wood vs laminate : durability, renewability questi

Go online and Google hardwood and laminate secrets revealed. About as accurate as it gets for discussing the differences. Good Luck.

o

laminates cannot be refinished in any way. Eng. hdwd can be screened and recoated adding a new coat of finish without sanding. The aluminum oxide finish on eng hdwd is similar to the low maintenance ao on laminates but can be recoated. Wear warrantys are the amt of traffic needed to walk thru the finish down to the bare wood. When people discuss 'wear' what they are seeing is a diminished gloss in traffic areas. This is when recoating comes in handy.
I agree that hdwd adds value where laminates don't.

o

Thanks for your response, boxers! It helped me understand the relative benefits.

Just as a final comment, laminate floor makers' selling proposition is that laminate is "virtually indestructible". Does not seem like that's the case! Thanks again!!

o

it has been oversold. It scratches, dents, chips just like everything else. It also sounds hollow, plasticky and cheap. Wood has none of that and can be repaired or refinished.

o

Big differences in engineered floors too. You want a sawn / sliced one rather than a rotary cut. They hold up much better over the long haul. Also check the veneer thickness of the top layer, thicker is better. A quality sliced veneer floor is indistinguishable from a solid one.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here