Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
uneven sheen on tiles

Posted by diy-er3586 (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 20, 13 at 11:46

I had 20" Emser Lucerne Alpi glazed porcelain tile installed about 1 month ago, and the sheen is uneven across about half of the tiles. I am unable to clean it so that the sheen is even. It looks dirty all the time. I hope the attached picture is adequate. It is difficult to photogragh. It looks to me like a problem with the individual tiles themselves, rather than grout haze. I think if it were grout haze the sheen pattern would flow from one tile to the next. Instead, the sheen pattern stops and starts at the edges of the tiles. It's a nightmare!

Has anyone seen this problem before? Please help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: uneven sheen on tiles

I don't see a way to add more than one picture at a time to the original message so I am adding one in a followup.

o

Here's what happened, in case anyone else experiences this. The installer and I both tried nanoscrub and grout haze remover. Neither product produced any change. The installer ordered about 8 new tiles to replace the ones that looked the worst. The new tiles came in perfectly glazed, all identical. They were so good that we actually could not use them because they were so different from the installed tile, it would have made all the rest look even worse. Seeing these perfect tiles against the ones installed made it obvious that the original batch was defective from the factory. The installer said the manufacturer would not do anything about it because they were already installed. We ended up leaving the defective tile in because we were just exhausted after months of dealing with it. So we are just living with expensive ugly tile that we hate. If I ever have tile done again I will inspect every tile in detail before the installation begins. This was a no-win situation. Money down the drain. Check the sheen on your tile closely before it is installed!

o

Just wondering if they have a particular "set" in one direction. In other words, if the "offending" tiles were rotated 90 degrees, would they then match up?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here