Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How straight should hardwood planks be?

Posted by Pendleton123 (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 8, 12 at 11:04

I searched but couldn't find an answer to this. I know wood tends to curve and move and grow/shrink, etc. My question is: how straight should hardwood planks (3 1/4" wide x 3/4" thick, maple prefinished tongue and groove) be out of the box. They're currently acclimating, but the samples I pulled out - seemingly all of the longer boards have a slight curve to them. (side to side, not up and down - they're all flat) My builder says that's natural and the tools they use to tap and then nail them into place will take care of it. But I always like second opinions.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How straight should hardwood planks be?

As long as you can force them into place and fasten them adequately it takes a LOT of warping to make a strip unusable.

In many cases they can be cut into shorter pieces and used that way.

The folks laying the floor will decide how to use the pieces.

o

I'm having the same problem and it's driving me crazy. Purchased from a very reputable bamboo dealer (from the top 3 strand bamboo companies out there, low VOC etc). However MANY of the planks are warped/curved down one end. I have never laid a floor before and have no idea what is acceptable. I tend to be a perfectionist so I'm not sure if this is me having too high standards or what. Once laid down they do look good and flat. But I'm worrying...will they stay that way? Should we stop the project (DIY) and contact company? Or is this acceptable? Thank you!!

o

Here's another picture. Oh and they have been acclimating 4 weeks at this point. HVAC run continuously (automatic) at 73 degrees F.

o

For Izzi...

Are you floating the bamboo? If so, you need to tape or clamp sections together to keep all of it as straight as possible,

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here