Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dgormish

Vinyl floor - what did you get?

dgormish
10 years ago

I have looked over a variety of floor options and have decided to replace the current vinyl with a new vinyl in our kitchen. The current vinyl is 20 years old! There are a lot of vinyl options out there so I am interested in those who chose vinyl

- what did you get (company, color, etc.)
- how is it holding up / do you like it
- installation (is it glued, floated, etc?)

I am really liking some of the stuff by Earthwerks but not seeing much about it past their website and a few flooring sites that recommended it. But I am not settled on any one company at this point.

Thanks!

Comments (7)

• maryann_m
    10 years ago

We put Duraceramic vinyl tile by Congoleum in our kitchen about two years ago. The Duraceramic feels much more comfortable under foot and it cleans much more easily than the ceramic tile which it replaced. It's glued down and grouted with the Duraceramic grout. It looks very much like ceramic tile yet cleans much more easily. I had ceramic tile for almost 30 years and couldn't wait to be rid of it.

• black88mx6
    10 years ago

Used Armstrong Connection Corlon with full seam welds. Flooring looks like terrazzo and comes in many colors. We used White Cliffs. Another good point is that it is inlaid so the patter goes though it and it is not just a picture on the top. No problem moving chairs on it. Flooring comes in 6 foot lengths.

It is warm, feels great on the feet and it not slippery. We really like that we don't have to worry at all about the kids getting it wet or anything.

All seams run the same direction, and look like metal strips that would normally be used with terrazzo. In the pic one goes to the middle of the stove.

• pcweary
    10 years ago

I got the Nafco Permastone in Modern Slate (GroutFit) and really like living with it. My second choices, but could not find the right colors, were Amtico and Armstrong Alterna. The Alterna is a beautiful, durable tile.

For me, I would never have anything else but a vinyl tile in the kitchen for all the many reasons that have been stated before. Different style homes may dictate something else, especially newer ones, but that shall never dictate to me the ease and comfort is other than LVT.

My floor is glued.

• Carie3
    10 years ago

We are going for commercial grade homogenous vinyl Tarkett Optima range 6.6' wide with matching weld joints. In dark grey or black because we have a child with severe disability who makes heaps of mess. This flooring is usually
    Used in hospitals or airports so it it is supposed to b tough.

• black88mx6
    10 years ago

Carie3,

Those look like some very cool patterns. I suggest you get samples; that is what finally allowed us to choose our inlaid vinyl. You should also be able to get samples of we welds.

• AustenFan
    10 years ago

I had DuraCeramic (grouted) installed in 2007. They removed the old vinyl floor and put down lauan (spelling?) underlayment. So seven years later, it still looks quite good except ... there are a few tiles that have hairline cracks (not very noticeable) and some tiles have been damaged by having things dropped on them. (I dropped one of those metal, retractable measuring tapes on it the other day and it left a dent.) Also, I don't find it especially easy to clean, compared to my old vinyl floor. If you get something like black heel marks, it requires vigorous scrubbing with a scrub sponge. I think the cost was comparable to having ceramic tile installed. In spite of those negatives, I am still happy with the look and would probably do it again.

• jaminnu
    7 years ago

Do the groutfit lines on the permastone tile stay cleaner than regular grout, or will I still be using a toothbrush?