Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sheet vinyl over ceramic

Posted by weed30 (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 18, 12 at 10:14

I need to install sheet vinyl over a ceramic tile floor in a bathroom. This is for a house I'm leasing for my dad, and I want to protect the grout. (he spills a lot and ruined the grout in his current home.)

My plan is to remove the baseboards and float a piece of vinyl, then caulk the heck out of the edges to keep out the spills. What is the best way to attach the vinyl to the edges to hold it in place without damage to the tile? I want to be able to remove it when the lease is up, so maybe some glue that I can use remover on later?

I know the tile pattern will telegraph through the vinyl, which is fine. Looking good is not the goal...just protection of the existing tile/grout.

My other idea is "bathroom carpet". Years ago some people had a thin rug/carpet cut to fit the bathroom, and when it got dirty it was easy enough to throw it in the washer. This doesn't address the spill issue fully, since spills would soak through. So maybe I could tape some thick plastic to the floor first??

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
////RE: Sheet vinyl over ceramic

Just after I posted I realized there is a safety issue with a loose piece of rug/carpet - he could trip if it bunches up. Any ideas about that are welcome too.

o
RE: Sheet vinyl over ceramic

It's simple...really...pattern scribe sheet flooring that is designed for looselay installation (fit net or a hair's breath loose), caulk all edges and cover the edge by the door with a tap down metal edging. Fit and attached properly, tap down metal edging lays flat and should not be a tripping hazard.

o
RE: Sheet vinyl over ceramic

Thank you! Loose lay installation is the perfect solution!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here