Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cluch_gw

Kitchen & sunroom flooring search

cluch
10 years ago

First off, I apologize I do not have pictures. We are finished our kitchen reno, except for the flooring. We had chosen something back in July at the very beginning, but when it arrived a few weeks ago, it did not look at all like sample we were using. Way too much light/dark colour variation on the actual full product.
Our kitchen is in an open area with a casual eating area and sunroom.
The cabinets are a maple stained antique with glazing.
Our countertops are Cambria Windermere quartz.
The walls are painted cloud white.
We have not chosen a backsplash yet, but it would probably be a solid light colour subway tile, or glass tile. We plan to do the backsplash down the road,
We want to keep the whole area light and bright with the feeling of a large open space, because it is actually not really very big.

For materials, I think we have narrowed it down to vinyl because we have 2 small children and a dog, and we have ruled out all of the other options of flooring we can think of.
We can not do real tile. While we love the beauty of tile and the options it would allow us, We do not want the cold, hard feeling of tile. Our cabinets are on top of our plywood subfloor, but It is too late in the reno to properly prepare the subfloor for tile and we can not do under floor heating.
So, we have looked at luxury vinyl tile, but we don't think we want grout.
We have considered hardwood, but ruled it out. We don't really want laminate, but if I found the perfect one, I may give in.
We are focusing on vinyl - preferably vinyl sheet, but we've also tried many luxury vinyl tiles and vinyl planks.
The problem with most vinyl is the tile colours/patterns end up looking to busy, or too similar to the countertop. The vinyl woods don't look quite right next to our cabinets. We don't want a really dark floor, nor do we want a really light floor.
How do we keep the emphasis on the countertop, and yet find a floor that fits in well.? We don't want the two to compete visually or look too similar.
Again, I am sorry I do not have pictures, but there are quite a few good pictures of Cambria Windermere quartz on Houzz to refer to.
Thanks for reading.

Comments (5)

• MAchanteuse
    10 years ago

I could have written a lot of this - we are also going to get sheet vinyl and Cambria countertops. It's also a smallish space without much natural light and I want it to feel as light and open as possible.

For your floor, I think a lot depends on the color of the cabinets, because they will be in between the counter and floor. For us, we are probably getting Cambria Newhaven with fairly dark cherry cabinets. I'm planning for the floor to be approximately the same color as the counter but with less movement and contrast than the Cambria has. I think that will tie the darker cabinets in with the countertop, but the floor won't draw too much attention to itself.

We've looked at all the sheet vinyl options we can find and our favorites were the premium Mannington designs. They look the most realistic to us, with texture that comes closest to real stone. There were a several patterns that we really liked.

• cluch
    Original Author
    10 years ago

MAchanteuse, I am glad I am not the only one trying to put this all together! Mannington absolutely has some great products and I think I have seen pretty much all of them in person and tried several at home. We've come close with a couple products, but nothing that we LOVE with the cambria. I agree, I am searching for the same colour tone as counter, but it's hard to find something that isn't too busy or patterned. Our cabinets are maple with an antique stain and dark glazing. Our space is smallish, but we have loads of natural light, so I am considering going a bit darker on the floor. I just don't want to see dust and crumbs on a dark floor all the time! Thanks for your input here and in the kitchens forum.

• MAchanteuse
    10 years ago

Boy, the sheet vinyl is getting slammed over in the kitchen forum. ;)

I would love to do the LVT but DH won't be convinced. I love how it looks - but maybe those have even more color variation than most of the sheet vinyl.

• tinker1121
    9 years ago

Cluch:
    I was wondering if you made a decision yet on your flooring and could you please post what you finally chose and pics would be great.
    I have granite with the same tones as the pic of your Cambria and facing the same challenge. I need a LVT with little movement with the same creamy/taupe color and would be very interested to know what you found to match.
    Thanks!

• glennsfc
    9 years ago

Sheet vinyl or a non-vinyl equivalent is a great choice. Ignore the snobs and those whose concerns are mainly resale value. Get and enjoy what you want.