Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New Hardwoods - Do I need to replace my subfloor?

Posted by christenw (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 27, 12 at 9:53

I apologize if this is a duplicate post...

I am looking into getting new hardwood floors. The issue I have is the subfloor. My house is 65 years old and the subfloor is tounge and groove planks run on an angle. The tounge and grooves have seperated and it is very squeaky all over.

One contractor has recommended tearing out the subfloor and installing new. The other contractor said that securing the old subfloor to the joists will solve my squeak issues.

Can anyone tell me which route is the correct route? Tear out and install a whole new subfloor or just re-securing the existing subfloor?

Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New Hardwoods - Do I need to replace my subfloor?

That all depends upon how much you want to spend. Can diagonally installed T&G subflooring be secured to eliminate most squeaks? Yes. Will it be forever squeak-free? Probably not. But, it is your least expensive option here.

Will a new subfloor guarantee that squeaks will not appear in it over time? No. Never.

BTW, most of the T&G separation we see with these plank subfloors is not due to shrinkage over time. Most of the T&Gs of these planks were never properly mated in the first place.

o

Thanks for the quick response. I was fearful that one contractor was just trying to get more work out of me. Sounds like that may be the case. Thanks!

o

Screw the old sub floor at every joist and lay the hardwood.

There is no reason to replace the sub-floor.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here