Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sweetandrew

Slate questions

sweetandrew
12 years ago

We installed bluestone on our 2nd floor terrace/deck last year and absolutely LOVE the look of the bluestone. We will be finishing our basement level this spring and planned on putting the same bluestone in our new mudroom, laundry room, and possibly flowing into the guest bathroom. (The rest of the basement level flooring will be the same oak hardwoods as on our two main levels.) Our builder told us, however, that laying bluestone in the mudroom, etc. area would cause that area to be raised an inch above the rest of the basement, resulting in an awkward transition from bluestone to hardwood. He suggests using slate flooring instead. I have googled slate flooring and like the look of some of what I see but it seems like there are a lot of different "slate" looks. Here are my questions:

If I want slate that looks as much like my bluestone is possible, is there something in particular I need to ask for at the tile store?

Pros and cons of slate flooring? We will be coming in with muddy boots from hikes with the dog, kids' sporting events, etc. so we need something that works well with mud and is easy to sweep or Swiffer.

Would you suggest using slate in the guest bathroom? It will be right off the mudroom and it is likely that I will take the dog in the shower to hose him off right after muddy walks so I'm thinking the slate would be better than, say, white tile, plus it would lend a uniform look to mudroom, laundry room, and guest bathroom.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Comments (5)

• live_wire_oak
    12 years ago

Use the bluestone through the whole basement. Wood is NOT an acceptable product to use in a basement. No manufacturer will warranty it at all.

• sweetandrew
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Our basement is daylight (level with the ground) on two sides, and is actually one floor above ground on the third side, the rear (our lot slopes dramatically down from front to back). Interesting that neither the architect nor the builder nor the designer has said that hardwoods would be a problem! I don't think I would like slate throughout -- too hard and cold-feeling for my tastes. Thank you for responding, though. Anyone else?

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

I have Arizona flagstone floors, and I had to put in a slanted wooden thingie between the stone and the carpeted bedroom under the door. I had forgotten it was even there until I read this post, so obviously it has never bothered me. I'd go with the stone rather than the slate.
    Be careful if you do buy slate- I have some and it is soft and can turn to mud if there is too much water on it for a long time. It can flake, too.
    Renee

• rickyk22
    12 years ago

Check out www.vtslate.com. That is where we bought our slate tile for our kitchen. We went with vermont grey and I think that would probably be the color that you are looking for as well. If you contact them ask for Jim Sauder. I had a hard time finding a tile store that sold teh slate flooring that we wanted, so we went straight to the source. Also, check out www.AmericanSlate.com. They are a good source on the west coast. Another supplier is www.builddirect.com. Check out the montauk blue. I am sure that you will really like this tile, but it only comes in 1 or 2 sizes. if you google the pros and cons of slate flooring, i think you will find what you are looking for. I think that the problem with wood in the basement is that if you ever get water in there, it will ruin it all. THey do have tiles taht look like wood and also a rubber tile that looks like wood, but are real nice also. I have never had an issue with slate turning to mud, in fact in my experience it is quite teh opposite, it stands up very well to water. If you have any other questions, let me know. rick@paramold.com I did a lot of research before choosing slate and spent a lot of time sourcing it.

• willtv
    12 years ago

We have Montauk Black slate floors in our kitchen.
    Here's a shot.

It's a great surface.
    Easy to clean and maintain.
    If you're going the slate route, be aware that some slate tends to delaminate, leaving sharp, uneven edges.
    This is not true, for some reason, of slate from Brazil.
    So find out where your slate comes from.
    If you're trying for the look of bluestone, then "rickyk22" is right.
    Check into Montauk Blue.
    Here's a link to some images.

Here is a link that might be useful: Montauk Blue Slate