Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tile experts?

Posted by footwedge (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 26, 11 at 9:25

What's your opinion on removing linoleum prior to laying tile? Erred and posted this on the remodeling forum before I saw this one.

TIA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tile experts?

What is your installation method?

o

My plan was to have the tile laid directly atop the linoleum removing any loose edges. The linoleum came in a roll like carpet and was placed in 1988.

Since my initial post, I checked a few areas were the cabinets have been removed and discovered that its not bonded as good as I thought. The edges aren't curling but it's easy to separate from the floor. I think it will need to come up.

If I do remove it, do I need to remove all the glue too? It appears the glue was applied with a notched trowel.

o

Usually lino releases because the glue used is water soluble. You do not want that glue under your tile. If you soak it with water it should release easily. But sometimes a longer soak is required. Wet towels or sheets help there.

o

One should remove existing vinyl and/or linoleum if you're planning to install a standard tile floor. Use caution and identify that the existing floor covering does not contain asbestos.

There is a floating tile floor available called Avaire that can be installed over top vinyl/linoleum.

Here is a link that might be useful: Avaire

o

I've started the removal process and it's a chore. I would say 1/2 came to the glue and only the very top layer on the other half which is not bad. Once the top layer is removed the paper? backing is somewhat easily removed with a 4" razor scraper.

What about the remaining glue. Is it better to soak and scrape or maybe use a orbital sander with coarse grit paper. The glue when scraped turns to a dry powder which is why I think sanding may be easier.

I welcome any suggestions. The house was built in 1988 so I'm not concerned with asbestos.

TIA

o

follow up. I saturated 2 towels and covered with plastic overnight. The remaining under layers removed very easily. Hardly used the scraper but the glue remained. Additional hand scraping resulted in partial glue removal in short string like pieces or ribbons..

o

You can rent a "stripper" to remove sheet vinyl and other types of flooring.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here