Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ccoombs1

Anyone use Hurst Hardwoods?

ccoombs1
16 years ago

Hurst Hardwoods sells on Ebay but also has an on-line store front. I want Quartersawn oak for my floors, and he sells it for a pretty good price. Does anyone have any experience with them....good or bad? It's kind of a big investment to make with someone I know nothing about. thanks so much.

Comments (10)

• slk230red
    16 years ago

Hurst Hardwoods was recommended to me by my nephew in Bradenton. He built a new house and purchased his wood flooring from them and was very satisfied.
    I did visit their store and was pleased with their staff, products, and prices, but I chose to purchase my wood flooring from a Lowes store near where I live.
    I looked on their eBay store and yes, their prices are good but most of what I see are cabin grade. I believe that cabin grade is not warranted by the manufacturer, so that might be something to consider.

Good luck

• dorothy13
    16 years ago

I've made 2 hardwood (select grade unfinished oak) purchases from Hurst hardwoods in the past 3 months. Both times went smoothly and delivery was within a week. The owners are great to work with and customer service was top notch. Our floors are being finished this week and the wood is beautiful.

Without a doubt, I'd buy from them again.

• ccoombs1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the information. Since I'll be using select grade unfinished quartersawn oak, I'm not so worried about MFG warrenty....mainly just the front-end purchase. I don't see many people selling quartersawn oak so I think I'll go with Hurst. Their prices are very good.

Cindy

• cookpr
    15 years ago

I too am looking at Hurst...they seem to carry such a broad range of hard to find sizes, lengths ...at reasonable prices, I can believe they are not more popular.

I have never seen anyone carry as many types of Red Oak flooring...anywhere.

• ccoombs1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The only issue that worried me about hurst is the shipping. If the wood were damaged in transit, I'd have to screw around with filing a claim, etc. In the end, I found a local distrubutor that uses the same mill in Ohio for all their quartersawn wood and got him to order it for me. I like supporting small local businesses, especially if they can come close to the price (which they did, considering I did not have to fork out $300 for shipping). He delivered it to me on his own truck and it looks wonderful! If I had not found this local guy, I would have used Hurst....they do have an amazing selection!

• threeapples
    11 years ago

Ccombs, mind sharing who you used? We are in Ohio and looking for wide quarter sawn oak in long lengths. And, any recent comments on Hurst? Ordering samples from them now. Thanks!

• SJTI
    10 years ago

We purchased a flooring that has proven defective within 30 days of installation. The flooring sold to us was inappropriate for the dry environment for which it was purchased. The result is a floor that is curling and shrinking and now needs to be replaced. Despite a 30-year guarantee the company has failed to stand behind its product.

• attofarad
    10 years ago

How long did the flooring sit in your dry environment before installation? What type of flooring is it?

• PRO
    Whiteside db
    4 days ago

I purchased 2 lots of quartersawn white oak from Hurst ... first 350 sf were great, second 650 sf (which came from a different mill according to Hurst, was milled poorly - the tongue does not fit snugly into groove, so the un-nailed edge (groove side) move up and down - my floors look cupped. buyer beware