Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Flooring help

Posted by Whit461 (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 14, 13 at 8:03

We are remodleing the kitchen and opening it up to the DR. I am planning on pulling up the old harwood floor in the kitchen and replacing it with new hardwood. Width is not the problem, I am worried about the thickness. Everywhere I read, new floor comes up to 3/4" thick. I measured this morning and our floors are 7/8" thick. Big difference. Is 3/4 really 7/8? Should I use a thinner floor and place some underlayment or sheething down to build it up? Help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Flooring help

I have never seen 7/8" thick wood flooring but I guess anything's possible. Probably the easiest thing to do would be to use 3/4" thick floor and shim as needed using roofing felt.

o

It's an old house and many of the materials are of odd or older sizes. For example, in our house, a 2x4 measures 2x4. I was able to use a carpenter's measure and confirmed twice the wood flooring height as 7/8. Long talk with DW over a bottle of Sav Blanc and we decided to stay with the old floor and do as much as we can to clean it up and refinish.

o

Use luon sheets to raise it up will be better then shims. Luon is less then 1/4" or double up on rosin paper.

o

#30 roofing felt would work ideally. May need to adjust accordingly along with #15. Rosin paper is too thin, would become too cushioned...potential squeaks

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here