Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sue_sf

Opinions on 1/4 inch Durock- HELP please

sue_sf
11 years ago

Long story short, our newly installed tile floors are higher than the adjacent 3/4 inch hardwood floors, leaving about 1/4 inch toe stubbing, heel catching ledges. DH and I are so disappointed in this. Tile contractor used 1/2 inch durock. When I asked him why he didn't use the 1/4 inch durock that is recommended for floors because it will match up with most other floor types (per the durock website), he stated that the 1/4 inch is crap and is not stable.

Is this true?

The mudroom tile has not yet been laid, but the durock is down. If we let him continue, we will have another tile lip to deal with. It may be a little smaller due to the tile being ceramic and not porcelain, and his attempt to use less thin set...

What are our options?

Here is the rest of the story?
We are building a new home and had 3/4 inch hardwood put in the entry/kitchen/great room along with the master and guest bedrooms. When I ordered tile for the master and hall bathrooms, and laundry/mudrooms, I was told it would be able to be installed flush with the hardwood flooring. (Tile store that GC sent me to)

The workmanship is great - the tile was selected and laid beautifully, he has tiled our guest shower over tub and it looks great. The trim carpenter did a beautiful job on the hardwood floor. I blame this completely on our builder.

Comments (4)