Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cork or Bamboo

Posted by secsteve (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 22, 11 at 7:46

I am in the process of redoing the kitchen floor and the foyer entrance. I was thinking of cork for both but in talking to the contractor last night she asked if I had considered stranded bamboo. Never even heard of it.

I did check for messages here and got some good insight, but would still like to hear from those of you who have either cork or bamboo and how you like it and how it's holding up.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cork or Bamboo

The strand woven bamboo will probably be more durable. It is made with strands of dried Bamboo and usually a low voc adhesive. Then heat pressed with 1500lb+ of pressure. Making it extremely dense, more so than other hardwoods. It can still scratch and dent but not as easy as other Bamboo or Hardwoods.
Cork is softer under foot. Very comfortable. More susceptible to scratches. Can yellow or fade with lots of light. Very quiet. Very environmentally friendly. Entirely renewable material.

Hope this helps.

o

If you were thinking of cork, why is someone telling you to think about bamboo? apples to oranges to say the least. A cork person doesent normally want bamboo. Unless it is the green experience that turns them on. And I am still trying to figure why bamboo is any greener than any other harvest controlled wood. Again just my honest opinion. PS. by the way..I absolutely love cork as a product, although we sell very little of it. Good Luck

o

Thanks floortech.

I'm not necessarily hooked on cork, but had heard a lot about it. The contractor was trying to be helpful when she mentioned bamboo, not trying to change my mind or anything. They just wanted to let me know there are other options and the pros and cons of both. I appreciate that type of advice and they weren't pushy about which to choose.

o

Did you ever make a decision on this? If so, which way did you go and are you happy with the decision? I'm debating the same thing right now.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here