Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mythreesonsnc_gw

Waterlox vs. standard polyurethane

mythreesonsnc
13 years ago

Hi All,

I usually post on the building a home forum, but think I need to go to the experts for my flooring question.

We are in the middle of our build and have always had in mind a random width walnut for the flooring. It is a "new old house" kind of look, meant to be like an old farmhouse. I like the knots and other "imperfections" in Walnut, guiding us to look at a step down from the highest grade of wood (no coffee yet, sorry for my blank). Anyway, I've read quite a few posts on GW about the wonders of Waterlox. It seems that it is a product that soaks into the wood, bringing out the grain, while still protecting it. It also seems to be great if you ever need to touch up a spot vs. a complete refinish that would be required with polyurethane.

I will need to talk to the hardwood guys this week about using waterlox if that is what we decide. I have several questions about it though:

From a pricing perspective, how would you expect the application of Waterlox to compare to a traditional polyurethane?

From a cleaning perspective, what can you use on a waterlox finished floor?

Any negatives about Waterlox, or pictures, stories, etc.?

Thanks for reading and any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Comment (1)