Houzz Logo Print
epipren

Granite experiment - stained and resisted

epipren
15 years ago

I have these two samples of granite:

(1) Sea Foam Green piece from a slap

(2) Kashmir white tile sample

I put a couple of drops of red wine on both overnight.

In the morning, the sea foam green just wiped off, very minimal effort. The Kashmir white, however, took up the wine, and is now part of it. I don't think there is any way to get this out.

Any idea why this would be different for the different pieces? I'm a little concerned because I was considering the kashmir white for flooring.

here's the pic:

Comments (5)

• ccoombs1
    15 years ago

The make-up of the stone we refer to as "granite" is tremendously varied. Some granite is much more porous than others. Some granite needs to be sealed pretty often and some never needs sealing. Some is very stable and some is so full of fissures and veins that it needs netting epoxied to the back to keep it from breaking. Personally, I would not use a granite that is easy to stain on floors.

• gladysse
    15 years ago

After I had Kashmir White granite counter tops installed in my kitchen, I learned that Kashmir White is not a true granite and that is one of the two most porous granites. Some websites statements as to porousness were alarming. Fortunately, I learned about Stonetech Bulletproof Sealer (DuPont), and it has really given me peace of mind (I seal granite every year). Nevertheless, had I been forewarned, I would have selected a different granite. I would not use Kashmir White granite for floor.

• epipren
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the heads-up.

I repeated the experiment with a sample of Blanco Romano, and the overnight application of red wine wiped right off. The sample is slab thickness, like the sea foam green. Some thought that slab vs tile thickness has something to do with it, but I think what you said makes more sense.

The kashmir white soaked the wine right up. I wonder if Kashmir gold is also not a true granite. I have a sample of that (but I'm out of red wine).

• epipren
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Kashmir Gold soaked up the red wine stain just as readily as the Kashmir White.

I ended up getting grey sardo for flooring. Can't find too much info on it on the web. I found that it does spot, but gets hidden in the patteen. Does this mean it needs to be sealed?

• riley605
    15 years ago

I was told darker granite is usually denser than lighter. We used Labrador Antique for perimeter of kitchen, and a lovely piece of Giallo Beach for the center island.

We chose the piece of GB because of the beauty of the pattern, the almost crystal-like formations running through the slab. We knew it wouldn't take the beating my perimeter workspaces would; it hasn't held up perfectly - a little chipping - but it's absolutely gorgeous.

As for Lab Antique, I haven't found anything that CAN harm it so far! It's one of the hardest, highest density granites I've ever seen, and yet I still chose the tightest slabs I could find. (I'm suck a sucker for those blue and purple glittery spots, tho - easily my favorite granite in the world!)

Good luck!