Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Could anyone identify this wood?

Posted by mtaclof (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 3, 13 at 1:34

I think it's oak of some sort, not sure which type. Any help would be appreciated. More pics below.

http://i.imgur.com/nZCCUgp.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Could anyone identify this wood?

What you have there is crown grade heartpine flooring. The tree is sometimes called longleaf pine.

See link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pinus Palustris

o

Kinda of looks like fir. Guess it could be pine.

o

Yeah, greg, sometimes hard to tell the difference with vertical grain, but it ain't oak.

o

I agree def not oak. Is there something that pops out at you that screams pine? And not fir?

o

Change in color is more likely in yellow pine than in fir. Hefting it or a smell test would be surer. Heart pine usually heavier, and smells of pine or turpentine when cut. Fir smells like fir, sometimes like pee (sorry).
Casey

o

Right i understand the difference between them and obviously if you can physically handle the wood i wouldnt have doubts but we only get a picture. And im trying to figure out what in the picture says its pine over fir. Im not saying hes wrong im trying to figure out what led him to his answer.

o

I would say the overall redness of the piece. The sapwood in fir appears much 'whiter' I would say. But, we only get a picture, like you said, and pictures can be misleading.

o

Ok thanks glenn.

o

i'm going with pine. it looks EXACTLY like an old pine coffee table we had. the way the scratches are smoothed into the wood. it looked just like the scratches in your pic. kind of like soft scratches. the wood was softer than most. is your beam "softish"??

o

I vote fir.

o

I'm almost certain it's pine. Douglas fir trees grow either yellowish or reddish heartwood but never both in the same tree. The yellowish wood on the bottom, or tongue side, could be fir sapwood but the inner growth rings on the groove side are already starting to curve into the heart. That means if it is fir the board was cut from a pretty small log, maybe 20 inches in diameter. There is no way anyone would make fir flooring out of a 20" log.

This post was edited by rmtdoug on Tue, Feb 12, 13 at 0:37

o

I'm generally not a betting person but I would bet that it's longleaf pine. I see lots of it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here