Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
vct -cutting border without gaps

Posted by fancyjo (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 12, 14 at 1:33

I will be installing VCT in my kitchen, and would like to put in a border reminiscent of the 1930's, that I remember from my grandmother's house. It had a 1 1/2" wide contrasting border set about 5" out from the walls. My concern is how to cut the border strips perfectly, so there is no gap between the factory edges and my 1 1/2" wide pieces. I have cut tiles with the heat gun and a utility knife, and also with a chop style cutter. The chop method leaves a pinched edge. I don't think I will get the best results with either of these methods. How do the pros do it? Would a wet saw be effective? Is laser cutting too costly? I am using vct because it is so cost effective. I have seen some beautiful photos of vct borders, and hope I don't have to settle for a borderless floor.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: vct -cutting border without gaps

Sharp utility knife, steel straight edge and heat gun can get good results. For large jobs I have used a table saw with a new carbide-tipped blade to process VCT to size. If the fence sits 90 degrees to the table top with no variation, you can stack a few tiles and cut through them with one pass.

If you attempt this, then be extremely careful; table saw injuries can be serious.

Don't cut it all at once and don't neglect to verify from time to time that what is being cut is exactly what you want and that the settings remain true.

If you are familiar with creating table saw jigs, that could also help you design and build a sled which could make the work easier and safer.

You might be able to use one of those new laminate/flooring saws which slide on rails; only in the case of one of those you would want to cut the product with the good side down.

That's all I got.

o
RE: vct -cutting border without gaps

thanks for the tip, I will look into the table saw idea.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here