Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
txjack

120" x 60" Tile - any opinions?

TXJACK
9 years ago

Has anyone ever seen these newish monster size tiles in person? What did you think of them?

Seriously considering using those for a linear fireplace surround for a very modern look with few seams.

Thanks.

Comments (7)

• _sophiewheeler
    9 years ago

There are VERY FEW fabricators around that have the training and manpower to handle the tile or to install it properly. You need to do more than average due diligence in that regard. In the end, it will be more expensive than the slab material it's mimicking.

• StoneTech
    9 years ago

I have installed 4'x4' tiles in Houston.....and it was a bear!

You need a VERY good installer and a "bridge saw" and a leveling system to make it work properly....without "lippage."

Good luck on this.....

• LARemodel
    9 years ago

I would like to use the thin porcelain slabs from Stone Peak Plane series for my shower walls and have considered using it on my fireplace surround. I'm still shopping for tiles and have not yet committed.

I have found a local fabricator in the Los Angeles area - he says there is only one way to install the thin porcelain slabs correctly - so can be a mess for an installer who is not experienced in using the material.

I've attached a photo I took of one of Stone Peak's newer colors in polished Fantasy Bright. They also offer matte, which I prefer. In the photo, I have two 12x24" tiles next to the slab, which can give you a sense of the size. Stone Peak has a beautiful travertine color in the Plane series, which I think would look awesome on a fireplace surround. I have a photo of their matte calacatta, as well, but have not yet learned how to post more than one photo per message

The challenge for using it in on my shower walls is that there are no matching trim pieces. Can use a Schluter metal edging for trim, which I think would look fine on a fireplace surround.

There is a competing material, Neolith, which is manufactured in Spain. Neolith has a fiberglass backing and is not porcelain. I have not seen Neolith yet, so can't comment on how it compares visually.

• LARemodel
    9 years ago

And here's a photo of the Stone Peak Plane series in Calacatta matte - taken outdoors, so the slab is a bit dusty.

• GreenDesigns
    9 years ago

Neolith is better than porcelain. It's sintered porcelain panels. That's tougher than standard porcelain. Several sintered products are coming on the market, but most in the trades lag begind in their ability to keep up with the skillset needed to work with them. Super large format products like this are better handled by those in the stone fabrication industry than those in the traditional tile laying industry. There's a whole set of tools and techniques that tile folks don't have that are required to deal with the large slab material. Better to start with the folks who already have much of the tools and skills already on board.

• TXJACK
    Original Author
    9 years ago

LARemodel: Do you mind if I ask roughly what the material cost was psf on those Stone Peak large format thin porcelain tiles (if you recall)? I have only researched them only so far and have not yet gone to any showroom to see them.

Thank you

• LARemodel
    9 years ago

I like the slab-look better than stacked 12x24" tiles in a "busy" color. For comparison, I've attached a photo of conventional 18x18" porcelain tiles imported from Italy. These two tiles are from the same "batch."

One vendor offered 5'x10' Stone Peak slabs at $850 each. Another vendor did not give me a price, but said that the price adjusts by quantity; buying more slabs lowers the price. I don't have a price yet for Neolith.

The price does not include fabrication or installation costs.

One of the cost challenges with large format is that there is likely to be more waste.

Neolith has expanded their line to include a choice of finishes. Also, I see on their website that they offer 14 colors in "full body." This has been one of my concerns in using Stone Peak - I don't think they offer full color body.

I'm guessing that conventional porcelain tiles in 12x24" or 18x18" sizes would be considerably less expensive - maybe half the cost or less.