Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nigelsgarden

Carpet Seam/Side Match problem

nigelsgarden
14 years ago

We recently had carpet installed and there is a definite problem with the seams showing. Installer noticed it in the first room and thinks it's due to the dye process during manufacturing. There is no light & dark variation on either side of the seam, just an obvious line going thru the carpet.

Store front recommended feathering but we refused and are having the manufacturer come out.

My question is, has anyone had this problem and what was eventually done to solve it. Did you have it totally replaced or did you choose the feathering?

Comments (10)

• echoflooring
    14 years ago

Please post a picture if possible. Rarely is it dye process. Please explain the feathering process. My company installs over 1000 yards a week so I will surely have a thought on this. Would love to see a good picture from different angles.

• nigelsgarden
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I've linked to some info I found on the web that describes the process for correction. Personally, I have my doubts that it's a dye problem since the color to the right and left of the line appears the same. The seam is apparent the full length of the room.

This is the best shot I could get tonight. As you can see the line is running vertically in the middle of the photo.

Still waiting to hear from the inspector for the manufacturer. We have made up our minds that we will not do the feathering if it's suggested as a fix.

Thanks for your input!

Here is a link that might be useful: Info

• echoflooring
    14 years ago

A great installer would have used a serpentine straight edge with that particular carpet.The line appears to me to be there strictly because the color patterns are not falling at the same spots on the side to side. This carpet may not call for a match. Yet there still is differences in the carpet. A serpentine addressees that. I do not believe it may be a seam problem or carpet problem. Most stores (installers) do not use serpentine edges. What the serpentine does is take away the straight line so you no longer see it. I tell you it works like magic.That is a multi color carpet and a straight edge gives you exactly what you see. It is probably also peaked some, which will dissipate and make the seam look better.

• echoflooring
    14 years ago

Now that AI have read the feather blending...I do not like it at all...that is not an accepted carpet principle...period...could void seam warranties...will definitely void delamination manufacturer warranties at seams. If I have to go to that to get a satisfactory seam, I am getting out. Now that I have vented, if you go that route, I would want the store to provide it for you...so if it fails...its on their head....How far from the wall is that seam...? and was there a repeat listed on the carpet? (pattern repeat) The inspector will blame it on installation guaranteed.....what you have is definitely not manufacturing. What manufacturer is it?

• nigelsgarden
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks so much for the info since I'll now be more prepared when the rep shows up, which will be next week.

I don't think the carpet is multi-color or at least I don't see different colored strands in it. It is a plush and the brand is Karastan.....one of their higher end carpets.

To ease your mind : ), we're not going to allow the feathering, but will be asking for replacement. At this point I don't think they can re-seam since there's no extra carpet to work with, correct?

The carpet rolls were 15' wide and one seam is 17' from the wall, another short seam is 2' from the wall.
    I'm including a photo of the short seam, which is about 7' long. The other two seams are roughly 20' long.
    Also, IRL the color is a lighter brown/beige.

• echoflooring
    14 years ago

Ok on the 2nd pic posted It almost looks like peaking on the seam. It is where the seam raises by law of physics and will give off a different reflection on the peak...It will go away. On the last pic, I do not like what I see. It almost looks like two different carpets lying there. This is either from installer laying the product in the wrong direction with one of the pieces or some type of reverse pile direction, which would be a manufacturer problem. It is a phenomenon that occasionally happens where a carpet takes on a different pile direction during the roll. It happens to us maybe once every 3 years. If that is the case karastan should replace it. We sell karastan, they are owned by Mohawk and are a good company. It now looks like a textured instead of a multi color. That carpet should seam up to where you have to hunt for it. I agree with you now, something does not look right to me. That last picture convinces me, although pictures can be deceiving...it really does look like two different dye lots laying there and I am sure that is not the case. They can test it to make sure the installer did not turn the carpet. It would be rare, but it actually looks like that. If not it is a pile direction issue and they will try steam it to get the pile standing up straight which may eliminate it. Either way..someone has to do something for you. Keep posting. Thanks and good luck.

• nigelsgarden
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Update:
    Karastan rep came by and said that it's definitely a dye problem and his report will state that Karastan/Mohawk should replace it.

We've had plush carpet installed many times in the past and as you said, it should seam up to where you have to hunt for it. That's why I was so surprised when this problem showed up.

Thanks again for your help and input!

• echoflooring
    14 years ago

fantastic... Good Luck

• VickiPrice
    9 years ago

This is exactly the issues that I am having. Do you (or did you already mention) who the manufacturer is? Ours is Terza carpet and we are having a horrible time getting any info or help from the carpet company that installed it.
    Carpet even looks like the same colour, we have very visible seams and a colour mismatch in one room.

Here is a link that might be useful: TVGirl blog

• VickiPrice
    9 years ago

We have seams throughout the house and even in small 10x12 rooms where there should be no seams