Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Builder grader porcelain tile--is it ok?

Posted by bobber4 (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 23, 09 at 21:55

We are supposed to be tiling next week in our new home. I have looked high and low for a porcelain tile to go in the kitchen, dining, laundry, mudroom, and powder bath (all one tile as all the rooms connect). Am trying to match the granite which is Juparana Ipanema (Sukuri) so I went to the designer today and she led me to a builder grade porcelain tile that looks really good but the finish is very, very matt. The tile feels very "dry" when you run your hand over it--like it doesn't have a finish on it. I'm afraid that it might stain. Cost was under 2.50/ft for 18 inch tiles. Anybody know about the quality of this kind of tile? The name was Comet Cliff Tail (made by Cometstone) and was sold by a tile company that imports there own tile (they do have a good reputation in town). Anyone have any thoughts or experience with builder grade tile? I am somewhat on a budget but am willing to spend more if I should. Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Builder grader porcelain tile--is it ok?

You can trust me when I tell you-- that's one of the reasons porcelain is so popular now. You get the texture of a nonslip tile, but it won't stain like one. I've said it many times in these forums-- I never met a porcelain I didn't like. :-)

Oh-- and if you don't trust me, get a sample piece, and try it for yourself. Give it your worst. I'll bet it cleans right up. :-)

o
RE: Builder grader porcelain tile--is it ok?

We bought our porcelain tile from Lowes & installed it (in the kitchen) about 7 months ago. It is easy to clean and like bill_vincent said, it's got a nice non slip texture that does not stain. Ours has a dry and matte finish just like you described above.

Photobucket

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here