Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
honus94566

Question on Hickory Floor

honus94566
11 years ago

Hi, I am hoping someone here can help me with some advice.

We had a hickory floor installed in our dining room today. Here is a photo:

http://i1307.photobucket.com/albums/s584/dbr7dbr7/floor_zps76ae7d74.jpg

We will be staining it a dark brown color. Anyway, it was installed today while I was at work, and when I got home and saw the installation, I am concerned about the large "white" section of wood. Granted, the wood has variation and some of the planks are white which is fine, but I think its very odd that the installers put 3 white planks against each other, leaving a large white patch. Once it is stained I am sure it will look better, but I am afraid this will be an eyesore that will just bug us for years to come. I would think that installers should pay a bit more attention, and space out the variations a bit better.

If just the middle plank of those 3 white ones were pulled up and replaced with a darker plank, it'd make the whole thing look a lot better. Once a floor has been completely laid, is it very difficult to pull up and replace a plank, or would that be a pretty easy job?

The installers will be here again tomorrow morning. Should I make an issue of this, and have them replace one of the planks? Or is this something that will be made pretty much irrelevant once the stain goes down?

Any opinions would be most helpful. I don't want to criticize my installers or be nitpicky, I just want our floor (hickory is expensive!) to look nice, and I don't want a large weird patch in the floor that looks way lighter than everything else.

Just FYI, we haven't decided 100% on the stain yet. We were waiting for the floor to go down and have a better look at it. But it will be some shade of a dark brown.

Thanks!

Comments (2)