Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to prevent squeaking sound after laminate floor installation?

Posted by janesylvia (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 26, 13 at 21:11

I went to some open houses, and found some laminate floors had squeaking sound when I stepped on it, which seemed to happen in both newly installed or old laminate floors.

I bought a house, where the family room, living room, and hallway have expensive laminate floors (Wilsonart Flooring, discontinued now), but the 4 bedrooms have cheap laminate floors. All the laminate floors in the house have no squeaking sound. I'd like to have laminate floors in the 4 bedrooms replaced with better quality laminate ones (Columbia Flooring, WIB301, in order to match the thickness and color in hallway) . But I am afraid the newly replaced laminate floors would have squeaking sound. I have some questions.

1) What should I pay attention to in order to prevent the replaced laminate floor from squeak when stepped on?

2) Would general contractor who would do my bathroom remodeling be fine to replace the laminate floor or would it be better to ask for a contractor who only does floors (usually hardwood floor installation or resurfacing require more technique. I don't know if laminate floor replacement also needs to be done by those people)?

3) Do I need to buy laminate materials one week in advance, open the boxes and expose them in the house? One general contractor suggested me to do this, saying it would be helpful in preventing the squeak sound. I am living in the bay area, and it's a one-story ranch-style house.

Any input is GREATLY appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to prevent squeaking sound after laminate floor installat

I personally believe there is no such thing as expensive laminate flooring, that is just my opinion. To try and help answer your questions,

1) Approximately $5.00 a square foot, buy engineered hardwood, guaranteed not to squeak.

2) Ask the contractor.

3) Depends on the product, read the instructions.

o
RE: How to prevent squeaking sound after laminate floor installat

How are you preparing to lay the new floor? Are you going to float it? Glue it?

If your sub floor is prepared properly you wont have any squeaks.

As far as having you GC do it. Make sure they know what they have to do to check the subfloor. The actual install isnt difficult.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here