Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
italfra1

Strand bamboo nail down installation..

Italfra1
11 years ago

Hi, I'm not far from purchasing about 1200 sq ft of Sahara Strand Bamboo from a company in San Francisco called Plyboo. I live in Sonoma County it's a relatively short distance for the material to be delivered. I know there are lot's of companies that sell bamboo products and I'm sure some of them have really great products. I know someone who works for Plyboo that let's me pick there brain endlessly on all the products. There product is roughly 9/16 x 3 3/4 x 72 and I think it's beautiful. Sonoma County doesn't get humid at all and for the most part it's a mild climate except for lately it's been 28 degrees in the morning.

My question is why is there so many horror stories about the nail down installation of strand bamboo. I know it's rock hard and has to be installed with the proper neumatic gun, air pressure, cleat size, etc. Are the horror stories mostly from DIY'rs that are just clueless and have no business trying to install this type of product. DIY'rs should for the most part stick to click lock flooring or softer woods. The strand bamboo is amazing when it's done right. Rock hard with such a solid beautiful look to it.

I have a carpenter who's been a custom home builder for over 30 yrs lined up to do my installation. I have fired off all my questions and concerns from the horror stories I've read and he say's if you have the proper tools and the experience{{gwi:807}} it's not a problem at all. He has made me feel very confident that he's very qualified to do the job. Only time will tell. I'm sure your going to have a staple here and there act up and need to be pulled out but if I see any damaged channels or dimples popping up through the bamboo I'll be on him in a heartbeat. I've given him three or four lengths of material to practice, set his pressure and all that. This way he doesn't show up and spend the first few hours trashing all my expensive material. I'm planning on putting down an AquabarB vapor barrier for any possible moisture issues.

Anyone have anything to comment on. Does it sound like I have a pretty good handle on getting this project off to the right start. I've read quite a bit and honestly considered not going with Bamboo but I can get the material at a great price and I really love the look.

Love to hear some comments, suggestions, etc.

Thanks..

This post was edited by Italfra1 on Wed, Jan 16, 13 at 11:39

Comment (1)