Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
merryecho

pre-finished rounded edges

Susan Gress
13 years ago

I can't seem to find a pre-finished, non-engineered hardwood floor that doesn't have rounded edges. This results in a little valley between each board, that looks to me like it would be a perfect dirt collector. I am building at the beach, so sand will always be around, and I can just imagine trying to sweep it up on a floor with a little valley every 4 inches. I can find engineered flooring with sharp square edges, but not solid wood. My builder doesn't want to finish on site, but I may have to insist.

Comments (8)

• Floortech
    13 years ago

In reality it will not collect dust, dirt, or sand...It actually helps disguise contraction and expansion of the boards during climate changes. Again..you are dead wrong for feeling that it will collect dust..dirt..sand..it will not. Moosewood makes the smallest microbevel that I can find..Engineered makes non microbevel products more so because they (engineered) are much more structurally stable to climate changes and there is not a need for microbevel.Do you bellieve every manufacturer would place bevels on the wood if it were dirt collectors? no..they are not that dumb at all...think about it and move away from that thought and dont try to outwit and out think manufacturer's design people. You are not the only one with a beach house buying wood. Good Luck

• Laurie
    13 years ago

I have Lauzon straight edge engineered in my home and love it. Have you checked to see if they (Lauzon) make a solid prefinished straight edge?

• idrive65
    13 years ago

Microbevels are common in pre-finished solid flooring for a couple of reasons. If there is any imperfection in the flatness of the subfloor or the thickness of the floorboard, you will get a noticeable "edge" that you can feel with your bare feet. These get sanded out of a site-finished floor, but would be noticeable in a pre-finished floor, and the bevel eliminates it. Also, a bevel minimizes the look of spaces between boards during dry months if your floor is prone to movement. All wood floors experience some movement unless the temp and humidity in your home is perfectly constant.

Floortech, is it necessary to be so confrontational when you answer a question?

• Floortech
    13 years ago

idrive 65 is leaving out much regarding a site finished floor as far as positives vs negatives us prefinished vs site finished. This poster remarks will steer people to site finished and there are some drawbacks with site finished just as there is with prefinished. I apologize for confrontational remarks, however..you cant tiptoe around when trying to make people understand in todays world. Tiptoe and facts do not normally get across. In no way do I ever look to talk down or be confrontational...just accurate and thorough. Bevels are a technology that is there for a reason and if you tiptoe around that fact, the person may go site finished with a inferior surface layer as opposed to some topical aluminum oxide technologies today. Just some I stated have it on top which makes it about difficult to mark and abrase. This customer if not explained in real world terminology that these bevels enhance the product, not hurt it. Because of and old fashioned predetermined mindset, may go site finished and depending on this sand, have abrasions all over the place. That does not need to be. I apologize for being so confrontational if I was, however you perhaps should give a broader explanation rather than mislead the poster into thinking site finished will be a cure all. Just a point of view of course and never want to make enemies here. i apologize.

• Susan Gress
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks to all for the advice. I am afraid I just don't like the look of the prefinished beveled edge flooring. I am building a very high end floor, and I haven't seen anything yet that doesn't look kind of cheap. I have always had site finished floors, and while they do show some wear, I can live with it, so I think it is the way I will go.

• idrive65
    13 years ago

idrive 65 is leaving out much regarding a site finished floor as far as positives vs negatives us prefinished vs site finished. This poster remarks will steer people to site finished and there are some drawbacks with site finished just as there is with prefinished.

I was explaining the positive qualities and reasons for a micro bevel in a pre-finished floor, floortech, so I'm not sure where you are getting this from. Furthermore, you state that "microbevels are there for a reason" and that I'm "leaving out much" but you give no reasons or explanations whatsoever! I supplied the 2 main reasons for bevels. No where in my post did I "mislead the poster into thinking that site finished will be a cure all" as I didn't address the type of finish. I have no preference regarding site-finished vs. pre-finished.

I don't like the LOOK of bevels, and that's a personal preference.

• Floortech
    13 years ago

Sound like the way to go merryecho..Good luck with your project..I am sure it will be beautiful.

• brickeyee
    13 years ago

I do not like them and they sure do catch dust, dirt, and pet hair.

One rental I have had them when I purchased it, and the renters complained they were a PITA to keep clean.
    Any vacuuming had to be in the direction of the strips to be sure of getting everything out.

Sponsored
Olamar Interiors
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Northern Virginia Premier Interior Designer 3x Best of Houzz Winner