Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paleo78

Ideas For Tile-to-Wood Transition

paleo78
12 years ago

I have a tile to wood floor transition that I'd like some ideas on. The tile was layed on the same level as the top of the wood floor, so I need to transition down from the tile to the wood. The floor itself has a little convex warp in it, so anything that goes in needs to have a little "flex" in it. I had great results with a schluter edge to carpet (same level, though). I'm not sure if it would be worth grinding out underneath and placing some sort of schluter edge for uneven transitions. Thanks!

{{gwi:1520820}}

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Comments (9)

• mydreamhome
    12 years ago

I don't think I have any pics of it, but Mom & Dad had the same thing in their old house when Dad installed the tile in the kitchen. He took a very simple hardwood trim piece that had a bevel to it & used it for the transition with the higher end on the tile side & the lower end of the bevel on the hardwood side. He then stained it to match. You should be able to get these at your local HD/Lowes or hardwood store. Good luck!

• susanlynn2012
    12 years ago

You need a reducer that is in the same wood family as your floor so the higher piece hits the tile and lowers down onto the wood floor. I love the tile and the wood floor you chose. Also great tile installation job!

• paleo78
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the ideas. Keep them coming! My wife and I love how the tile looks too. The hardwood is the original (1960). We just refinished the wood as well. The convex nature of the floor is a little character.

• tectonicfloors
    12 years ago

I agree with lynn2006. Thanks for sharing your detailed response.

• 4boys2
    12 years ago

Did you install the tile yourself ?

• 4boys2
    12 years ago

Sorry~ I didn't realize how old the post was..Any luck yet ?

• HIWTHI
    12 years ago

I second Lynn's recommendation. That's what I have and it looks really nice.

• onlygirlsmom
    12 years ago

That is almost exactly our transition. Here are 2 pictures of what we did. I tried to get a close up of the transition so that you could see the bevel on both sides of the wood. Your bevel might have to be larger since your height difference is a little greater than ours. The guy who laid our flood made the transition himself. It turned out really well (I think)

• MadJacJill
    10 years ago

Hi I am redoing kitchen and taking out old flooring . I am looking for something that will look nice next to my parquet floor which I am keeping. I'd like something eco friendly that is not busy and compliments the parquet since it will be right next to it. I am not wild about hard tile, as I like something comfortable when I am cooking. Any suggestions?