Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sah54_gw

Price of Tile

sah54
9 years ago

Eventually, I am going to have the carpet in the bedrooms removed and replace with ceramic tile.

This week, I did a quick price check at Lowe's and Home Depot, and then went to some local tile stores. The least expensive tile at the tile stores was $3.69/sq. ft. with many of them in the $5-$7 range.

My question is this: Is there something really wrong with the tile at Lowe's or Home Depot since many of those tiles are priced from $1.88 - $3.50 per sq. ft. ?
I was hoping to keep the price of the tile to no more than $2.50/sq. ft. Is that unreasonable?

Comments (3)

• User
    9 years ago

Most tile at the box stores is ceramic, not porcelain. It's also subject to more variation both in squareness and in warpage. While you can find good quality tile at a box store, 2.50 a square is pushing it for quality.

Also, the labor portion will be more than the materials on this, so although the price difference between 2.50 and $5 seems huge, for a 300 square foot room, you're only talking $750 worth of difference. The labor will easily be more than that, so overall, it's not the tile that's the majority of the expense on a tile job.

• weedyacres
    9 years ago

I bought loads of $2/sf tile at Lowe's (their Rialto line) and it was through-body porcelain. No problems at all with it, and it looked great installed. I didn't run into any issues with warpage, and the size variation between tiles was minimal and within expectations for non-rectified tile. I've also bought subway ceramic tile, some decorative tile, etc. and again been very happy with all.

I wouldn't buy ceramic pixelated stuff, from a big box or otherwise. And just because the box stores carry that for $.99/sf doesn't mean they don't have decent stuff as well.

• sah54
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for your input.
    I do not want to spend the money for porcelain tile. I'm going to put it in by bedrooms, so there is no chance of dropping things.

I really am trying to go as economical as I can. I'm getting ready to retire, and only have one more year of working, but have several projects left to do around the house. Replacing stained (from animals) carpet is one of those projects.

I got a ball park figure of $1200 for installation for the three bedrooms (and closets). (That is not a firm quote.) The tile looks like it is going to cost more than than.

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals