Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blessedbe_gw

Laying vinyl planking over hardwood

blessedbe
10 years ago

My house was built in 1946. The original hardwood floors are shot. Before I moved in the seller had the floors refinished and the contractor did a horrible job. They sanded it so low in some spots that they had to use wood filler. Also, they did not put a sealant on it, just a coat of oil which has worn off completely over the last 7 years. There is no insulation under my floors and the crawl space is so tiny, the insulation companies I've called said they can't get under there to lay plastic and put down insulation. My thought was to lay new plywood subflooring and lay luxury vinyl plank floating floor over it. I have two small dogs who miss their puppy pads sometimes and I want the water proof qualities of the vinyl.

I know a lot of people think it's madness to cover original hardwood. I will be in this house until I die most likely and am not worried about resale value. I live in a mostly run down neighborhood so it's not like I will ever recoup the money I have put into the less than 1000 sq foot house. I am concerned about freezing in the winter and having horrible looking floors. Is this a feasible solution?

Thanks

Comments (3)