Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
instanthouse

Waterlox and Glitsa Wood Flour Cement as Filler

instanthouse
10 years ago

Hello All,

I am re-finishing a vintage heart pine floor with Waterlox Original. The floor has plenty of "character" which is a bunch of nail holes, a few gaps, some old termite damage, etc. I wanted to fill with the sanding dust but wasn't sure what was the "best" glue or cement to use. I found Glitsa Wood flour cement and wanted to get everyone's opinion on it for use with Waterlox.

Thanks

Comments (4)

• gregmills_gw
    10 years ago

Ive used it before. Not with waterlox. But i dont think there would be an issue.
    Ive found the finest dust along with small batches works best. The stuff sets up pretty fast so you need to work fast.

• instanthouse
    Original Author
    10 years ago

here's a picture of the floor section that used to be covered by tar paper, linoleum, masonite, vinyl, vinyl, ceramic tile.

Is it typical to do the filling after the final sanding or sometime after the second pass? Does Glitsa need to be drum sanded or will a screen on a buffer be better?

Thanks

• gregmills_gw
    10 years ago

You should get the floor sanded clean. But not the final sand. Fine grit sawdust is ideal.

The cement harden strongly. I suggest a drum sander. Or some means of agressive. The screen alone wont cut it.

• PTLHardwoods
    10 years ago

Glitsa Wood Flour Cement is a good choice to use as a filler. It does need to be sanded off with the sander as a screen is not aggressive enough. I'm not a fan of Waterlox but it should be just fine to use over the filler once it is dry.