Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
subfloor thickness for hardwood floor

Posted by Karenseb (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 22, 14 at 16:39

We are having a white oak site finished floor installed in a previously carpeted upstairs room where we would like to put a pool table. We have discovered the sub floor has particleboard over a 5/8 inch plywood sub floor. The floor joists are 2by10 16 inch OC. We would like a solid floor and the installer suggested waiting till the particle board comes up before deciding if the plywood is good enough for the installation. I hate to increase the height of the floor by adding a half inch of plywood on top, but wonder if we should just go ahead and do it even if the sub floor seems okay. Or will the 5/8 inch sub floor be good enough?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: subfloor thickness for hardwood floor

I have seen many a successful solid hardwood floor installed over decent 5/8" plywood. Your installer is right in saying that the plywood needs to be assessed to see if it is a suitable substrate. If it is suitable, then just make sure it is 'firmly' attached to the joists. The firm attachment of the plywood and the properly fastened solid hardwood will give you a strong floor system.

What distance do the 2" X 10" joists span?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here