Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Daltile's Mongolian Spring Slate - Pics anyone?

Posted by Lola_NH (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 29, 11 at 16:36

Hi!
I'm considering using this slate (2 small entryways and a 9 x 11 gathering room off the kitchen) but the samples in the showroom looked mostly dark, whereas the photos on their website seemed to have more of a mix of of lights and darks, my preference. If anyone has any comments or pics, I would love the feedback.
Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Daltile's Mongolian Spring Slate - Pics anyone?

Just saw your post and while this is probably too late to help you, your query is coming up on Google so here goes.

I've installed a ton of this stuff in my home. Kitchen, three entries, hallway, and nook. It comes out of the box lighter than most pics, more light grayish, but as soon as you seal it (and you must MUST seal this stuff) it's gonna darken. I could send you pics but I used Aldon's SBS and it took it at least 3 shades darker. Makes the iron and browns show up well but the gray really darkens.

I like my floors a lot. Nice to walk on, nice to look at, very easy to clean although the sealer is more at play there than the slate.

Two tips.

One: You or your installer should use a medium set mortar, not thin set. I really like Laticrete's 220 but (in gray) but it can be hard to find. Much easier to level this stuff with a medium set than with thinset or one of the new enhanced mortars.

Two: Absolutely use a pre grout remover. I highly recommend Aldon's Easy Grout. I did a few tiles w/o it and took an hour to clean. Comes right off with Easy Grout ... put in on pretty thick, a bit more than the instructions allude to.

o
RE: Daltile's Mongolian Spring Slate - Pics anyone?

I would be interested in seeing any pictures you have to post of this slate. I'd like to see how dark it gets once sealed. What do you clean it with? Does it show dust easily? Is it cold in the winter? How does it hold up to pets and farm life? Please post pics if you have time.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here