Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pupwhipped

Do you have an engineered wood floor that you adore?

pupwhipped
11 years ago

I sure hope someone does and they can turn me on to it and put me out of my misery. HA! We've had a slow hot water heater leak and have to replace 1300 square feet of hardwood floors. I haven't purchased or even looked at hardwood flooring in 20 years. I believe the floors we have were made by Bruce. They are the 2-1/4 inches wide, and I've heard they don't even make them that narrow anymore, more like 3-1/4".

Anyway, my home is on a slab so it has to be engineered flooring that can be glued down. My home is very traditional...and stale. I haven't changed a darn thing in twenty years! I like to say my hair style is stuck in the 70's, and my home style is stuck in the 90's. Sad, but true. I have been looking at the hand scraped, wider plank (5 and 6 inch) hardwoods, but I just don't know. I really need more of a medium color, but most of them I see are darker. And being so traditional, I don't know if these would work well or not in my home.

Please share your experiences, good or bad. Thanks in advance for any help.

Comments (7)

• Laurie
    11 years ago

So sorry about the water leak.

Our home is also on a slab. Dh and I did a glue down install of Lauzon's 3-1/4" red oak natural (select & better). They sell the wider planks, too. We went with their square edge (no bevels) but they sell the micro beveled boards as well.

We were very impressed with the quality. No abnormalities in the planks and they have a nice factory finish (not matte, but not super shiny either). Check out the web site (below) for all their types of wood and colors.

When looking at other GW members pics of Benjamin Moore Manchester Tan, it looks like a great neutral color that I may want to use, someday. It might be a good color for your home, too.

-Laurie

Here is a link that might be useful: Lauzon

• nanny2a
    11 years ago

We have Mannington engineered hardwood flooring in hickory with a nutmeg finish that was installed about 15 years ago that I absolutely love. It�s held up exceedingly well throughout the years, with a busy family with children, grandchildren, dogs, cats and lots of heavy use, and still looks great. This flooring is very hard and does not show scratches. The kitchen and bedroom floors have both been completely covered in water for several hours, (leaky refrigerator/freezer water line and broken toilet), and after drying out a couple days, the flooring looks as good as new. I would never hesitate to use it again in another home.

• Kathy Harrington
    11 years ago

Can't help you on the flooring, but I have Kilim beige on all my trim and ceilings and love it. Try it out in your house first in your lighting and find out if it's the right shade for you.

• dreambuilder
    11 years ago

laurie_2008 can you explain the difference between square edge (no bevels) and micro beveled? Is this where the boards meet? I've been hesitant b/c I don't want "gunk" to accumulate b/w the boards so I want them to meet perfectly as a square edge might give me--most of what I see is beveled--is that what you are referring to?

• kristylee
    11 years ago

A well decorated house not only looks pleasing, but also exhibits the thinking of people staying in the property. There are a number of contractors available in the country offering the service at huge discount rates.

Here is a link that might be useful: toronto flooring

• clg7067
    11 years ago

Prefinished flooring (almost) always has the microbevel. This is to account for a not perfectly flat floor. When you have wood installed unfinished and finished on site, then the installers sand the entire floor to even it out.

I wouldn't worry about dirt collecting in the microbevels. I have three dogs and don't have any problems. (I was worried before I bought it, too.)