Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
canishel

fyi: apc cork floor

canishel
9 years ago

Just want to share my experience with APC Cork.
Had APC Cork floating tiles (Apollo white) installed in the kitchen in late fall 2011. Installation was by the flooring store. Store guy said no additional finish was needed.

About two years later I noticed little dots of cork showing through the finish. Now there are larger areas where the finish is coming off. A path of no finish is showing up from the primary work area to the refrigerator. Also, the edges of the tiles are showing up darker than in the areas that have little to no traffic.

Sent photos of the problem to the flooring store. The store contacted APC. End result: APC said that a third-party would investigate the issue for $375. That money would be returned if the fault was APC's. I rejected the offer.

Note: I clean on my hands and knees with damp paper towels or Bona Hardwood cleaner. The floor is always dry before I'm finished cleaning. Also, I walk either barefoot or in house slippers.

The flooring is in the kitchen, for pity's sake. If the cork is not durable enough for usual traffic then the specs should say so.

Comments (3)

• attofarad
    9 years ago

I had heard that floating cork, when installed in the kitchen, should get a coat or two of finish to seal the seams against minor water spills. I haven't heard anything about wear, except instructions that say to re-coat when necessary.

I am about to install floating cork in my wife's exercise room. Since it will get a lot of "traffic" when she works out (6+ hrs/week), I am going to put two coats of Bona Traffic on it after installation, and plan to add 1 more coat in a few years.

I'll be interested to hear how your issues get addressed.

• User
    9 years ago

Just because it didn't need a coat when is was installed, that doesn't mean it doesn't need a coat EVER.
    Just like a wood floor, a varnished cork floor will need to be recoated periodically, fyi.
    It's pointless to hire an inspector because I can almost guarantee that they would fault you for improper maintenance. It's just what they do.
    When you first noticed the little dots you could have found a wood floor finisher who could clean the floor, apply white finish to the worn spots and apply two coats of a good quality waterborne finish and make it as good as new. Then you could apply a coat or two every two years. Now the floor may have to be refinished or replaced.
    That said, two years seems quick to show that kind of wear. Most of the time I see an abnormally worn floor, there's other factors involved. Do you have good walk off mats at all entry doors? Sweep or vacuum regularly? Is the bottom of the vacuum brush abrasive. Are there any rolling carts or furniture on this floor? Kids? Dogs? People who drag their feet? Wheelchair? Walker?

• canishel
    Original Author
    9 years ago

attofarad,
    My issues won't be addressed because I refused the inspection, knowing that the "independent" inspector would blame me. The flooring store didn't volunteer to inspect or replace the problematic tiles, so I won't go back to them.
    I'll just use an area mat at the prep area to hide the worn spots and eventually replace with vinyl sheet flooring.

JFCWood,
    I am the only person at the kitchen prep area, nowhere near an external entry door. The dogs are elsewhere. The cork is just bad.
    Insofar as adding a coat on something, I can only go by what the dealer told me to do (i.e., no coat).

Maybe others can use my experience and not buy APC cork.