Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what is the proper length of boards for wood floor

Posted by lonestarstate (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 26, 11 at 14:19

We're getting random width 3,5,7 inch walnut floors and I'm trying to specify that the boards be long enough to not look choppy.

How have others addressed this in a bid or proposal?

What is a normal average length or range of lengths?
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what is the proper length of boards for wood floor

"What is a normal average length or range of lengths? "

It depends on how much you want to pay.

Longer boards are almost always more desirable.
Many vendors will only sell a mix of lengths to avoid being stuck with only short board.

o

When we installed a wood floor, we got 1,2,4,6 foot lengths.
I would have preferred all 6 footers :) But that would be a lot more expensive.
I like longer lengths.

o

The wider the boards, the longer you will want them. With a 3-7" package if you can keep them 4' or longer it will look better. Shorts can be buried in a closet or used at the end of a run, but you don't want a lot of 7" wide boards that are only a couple feet long.

The choppy look will be less in a floor of consistent color without bevels. If your boards are a mix of light and dark, with eased/beveled edges, you see each board individually.

o

"I would have preferred all 6 footers :) But that would be a lot more expensive. "

Often the additional price is about what the cost of the shorter boards they want to include in the order is.

You just do not get them as part of the order but are still paying for them.

o

One supplier told me I need to ask for FAS walnut because the board lenghts are up to 12 feet and the average is about 6 feet.

Has anyone used FAS walnut? I'm not familiar with that grading terminology.

o

We just finished a job that involved taking up an old heart pine floor, sistering the floor joists, and reinstalling the floor in the same order that it was removed. They were room-length boards. The room was 22 feet long! Wow, very elegant way to floor. Very unwieldy material.
Casey

o

I agree the longer boards are more desirable. Nothing beats the elegance of the clean look they produce. As mentioned above they are available for a premium price as a higher grade of wood is required to produce them.

In the real world the longer and wider the more likely flaws in the wood. These flaws are usually cut out leaving you with shorter lengths. The average length for most solid wood flooring is around 3 - 3 1/2 foot. Eight foot is generally as long as mills will produce so the pallets will fit sideways in a truck trailer.

o

"We just finished a job that involved taking up an old heart pine floor, sistering the floor joists, and reinstalling the floor in the same order that it was removed."

I am impressed! That is definitely high-quality restoration work!

o

"I'm not familiar with that grading terminology."

FAS stands for "Firsts and seconds", it's the good stuff. Google "FAS Walnut" and you should get some hits.

o

Never heard of FAS used as a grading term.

o

When I was going to get solid hardwood I was looking at a local mill here in Ohio. Their standard lenghs are 15" to 96". But if you are willing to pay more, they have a special mix of 5 feet to 10 feet. I don't remember the price differential, though.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here