Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Laminate Floor vs. Vinyl Floor?

Posted by jcioli (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 15, 09 at 14:07

I am planning to rip up the carpet in my basement and install a floor in its place. I am trying to decide between a vinyl floor or a laminate floor. I have a basset hound with rather large nails and my main concern is which floor would be better equipped to deal with any possible scratches the floor might endure from her nails. Also, she occasionally has an accident and which floor is better for cleaning up such accidents. Finally, which one would be better for warmth, since the basement is the coldest room in the house. I do have a portable electric stove down there I do use to keep it warm when I am down there in the winter. Thanks for any advice anyone can provide.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Laminate Floor vs. Vinyl Floor?

Both are pretty durable, but I'd think vinyl would be slightly more cleanable because it has no seams for liquid to get into.

o

I have high-end vinyl in my kitchen and love it. It's easy to clean and no worries if water gets on it (hence, your comment about doggy accidents). It takes the cold and hot weather very well too.

Besides, depending on what color/pattern of vinyl you get, any nail scratches won't be visible, making your floor look new - longer (though a patterned laminate could provide the same, I suppose).

We just put a wood laminate in the dining room and always have to worry about wiping up water spots immediately.

The vinyl is comfortable even in bare feet; the laminate harder. IMO, vinyl is the way to go for you.

o

Depending on your budget, one of the vinyl tile/plank products from Karndean or Nafco would probably work well. These are considered luxury vinyl tile/planks and look like a million bucks and hold up like tanks for traffic and will also perform better against moisture vs laminates. These will run more money though than most laminate products, but they will look great and hold up better in most instances.

On the flip side, if you are going to do this yourself, laminate would be a better route as the high end vinyl planks/tiles can be a little tricky and I would suggest finding an installer for these.

I'm not sure if one or the other would have a problem with the portable stove. Hopefully the link will not seem too much a shameless plug and give you some good info on the Karndean Vinyl plank.

Here is a link that might be useful: Karndean luxury vinyl plank

o

Hi,

Vinyl sheet is available in a wide range of shapes and size according to your area of floor, it�s durable and easy to clean. Even though Vinyl flooring is fairly inexpensive,it is also considered to be extremely resilient.Its material can cost as much as 70% less for vinyl than for any other flooring type. Its installation is incredibly siomple compared to other flooring types and is quiet easy to maintain.

So i prefer Vinyl Floor over the Laminated one.

Here is a link that might be useful: Flooring l Wood Flooring l Flooring Dublin l Flooring Company

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here