Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
flooring over basement slab

Posted by cyn427 (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 1, 11 at 13:55

Happy new year all! SO, I started the new year today as I ended it yesterday-cleaning the wall-to-wall throughout the basement. One of our dogs has (again) had some sort of upset and he/she (not sure which one) chooses to leave the runny messes (sorry-too much info, I know) all over the carpet. I guess that is better than upstairs where the rugs are better and the floors hardwood :). Anyway, at this point I am sick of cleaning up and am wondering about replacing the carpet with tile, stone, or something else (possibly even new carpet). I need something that won't stain. I have neighbors who did install hardwood on their lower level, so I guess it can be done successfully nowadays. I would like that, but not sure how wise it is.

Does anyone have suggestions? Our library and a guest bedroom are down there, so I want it to be cozy, but I guess I could put down some cheap area rugs that could be sent out for cleaning if we don't use wall-to-wall.

Professional cleaning helps, but doesn't get rid of the stains completely. As you see, we have been through this before! Any ideas are more than welcome!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: flooring over basement slab

Tile it. Easy to clean...and if you use an epoxy grout, the smell/stains don't show. Yeah, OK...I'm a "Tile Guy" so I have an agenda....but the truth is there.

o

Thanks for the advice, lazarus. Good to know about the epoxy grout, too!

o

We recently put down cushioned sheet vinyl in ours. The concrete wasn't level and was not in good shape, I wanted something warmer than tile (and less expensive since it would have needed pretty extensive floor prep to get the concrete ready for tile), and it's a dog room now but eventually may become guest quarters. The cushioned vinyl has so far been a very good choice for us and it's even textured enough that our dog doesn't slip on it. (He has arthritis so nonslip is best for him. He also anoints the floor with something or other pretty much daily, being an elderly fellow who isn't the same as he used to be.)

Sheet vinyl doesn't add to resale value like tile does, so that might be a consideration for you. But if that doesn't matter to you and you want something warmer than tile, you might have a look at it (it is not the same as it used to be).

Good luck! Having cleaned up after many animals in my time, I never want carpet again. [grin] (We have HW in our main living space.)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here