Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hallmark Hardwoods Historic Walnut Alta vista collection

Posted by lotsofkids (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 23, 14 at 12:34

Has anyone installed Hallmark Hardwoods Historic Walnut Alta vista collection? I loved it in the store and in the pictures online, but I can't find any reviews on it. It is exactly what I was looking for, but I would like some first hand accounts if I'm spending that much money on a floor. As my screen name indicates, we have a lot of young children. It needs to be durable. With this look I'm hoping that any dings will blend in. I included a picture from their website. This is a link to their website with info about their NuOil finishing technology. http://hallmarkfloors.com/alta-vista-hardwood-collection/

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hallmark Hardwoods Historic Walnut Alta vista collection

On the minus side, you're looking at a very soft wood with a finish that requires regular maintenance. On the plus side, maybe the dents and marks won't detract from the look, and if cared for correctly, the oil finish could serve you well. I do question the unbridled enthusiasm prevalent in the industry but maybe it's not all hype. The alternative is using a urethane finished product which has issues with scratching.
What rooms are you considering using this product in?

o

This is going in our walkout basement. We live in a very dry climate where wood floors are perfectly fine in a basement. We are finishing the basement the same quality as the rest of the house. We will be using it as much of the rest of the house. 3 bedrooms down there so some of the kids will be down there.the wood floor will be in the family room , kitchenette/craft room and game areas. The lady at the store days this finish makes it very low maintenance and durable.

o

Did you end up purchasing this floor?
If yes, how is it holding up?
We are considering the same floor for our home & have 2 kids and a dog but was hoping the character in the floor would help hide dents and scratches that will happen.

o

We did end up purchasing this floor, but it hasn't been installed yet. The rep insists that if there are scratches all I have to do is rub it with the oil and it will blend in, as opposed to the polyeurathane coated floors that just leave a big white scratch. One of the sales guys has a similar floor in his house bc he also has young kids, and he says it is very low maintenance and he loves it. Fingers crossed they are telling the truth!

o

Hello lotsofkids, I was curious if you had the Antique Walnut installed yet and did you like it? The Alta Vista is one of my top picks so far but I can't find any feedback online to validate that it is a good product. I would love to know how it's working out for your family, we too have kids and a dog!

o

Due to the many delays inherent in construction, our floor is going to finally be installed starting Monday. Our foundation had a lot of cracks and was very uneven, so that had to be dealt with. The finish carpenters disappeared for 2 weeks, which delayed us. To make the floor more even, we are also gluing down 1/2" particle board and nailing the floor to that. So unfortunately I can't tell you anything about it other than I have paid for it and I hope I love it as much as I think I already do. Ask me again in a week or so and I hope I'll have a better answer?

o

Gluing down 1/2" particle board and nailing flooring to this? Real wood in a basement? Particle board in a basement? Even in a very dry locale this sounds a recipe for a complete disaster!

o

We live in the desert, and we have a full walk out daylight basement. In fact we have humidifiers on both of our furnaces, and that is a prerequisite for having wood floors here. It is quite common here to do pre-engineered wood floors in the basement if you are willing to spend the money. The floors are pre-engineered, but to even our floor out even more they are doing the particle board glued down underneath.

o

Sorry, correction. It is plywood with a special glue that has a moisture barrier. I had surgery last week and it would be safe to say I'm still half high. Someone should take away my computer :)

o

I have just seen Hallmark floors engineered flooring. I am considering Laguna, Malibu and Avalon. We're building a cottage on the coast of Maine.
We'll be on a slab thus, the engineered wood. It has the look of reclaimed wood. I have been searching for at least two years. It is seven ply (if you count the hard wood on top). There is a 4 mm hardwood top. ANY info would be appreciated.

o

I have the historic walnut and love them. I love the look. They are perfect for the look I wanted. They are beautiful. The floor got scratched by my kids pushing each other across the floor in a box when the floor was still dirty from contractors. I haven't gotten the oil to try fixing it yet.

o

Any more updates? Either from Lotsofkids, or anyone else who has installed or considered Hallmark's Alta Vista hardwood flooring?

As for me, I just saw it in the showroom today (hence my search and finding this thread)...I'm loving it so far, and currently debating between the Avalon and Laguna colors (both are white oak, 7.5 wide, with the Nu Oil finish).

Here is a link that might be useful: Hallmark Hardwoods, Alta Vista collection

o

Duchamp, I'm considering the same ones as you. I haven't seen anything online about this flooring. The fact that there aren't any negative reviews is a good sign.

o

I too am interested in the Alta Vista flooring - haven't made it to the dealer yet though - curious as to what the price range is on this product? I know can vary based on dealer etc...but what are we looking at for a ballpark cost - any idea? What I have looked at thus far and not loved has been in the $8-$9 per sq ft. range. Thanks for any info you have.

o

It was going for $7 or $8/sq. ft in ME. I've forgotten which one. The dealer said he could give me a better price though. I put a sample on the floor and for a weekend. It was great. My only problem is it still showed pine needles.

o

Thanks Suz for the pricing range. I was afraid you were going to come back with a $20 sq/ft cost :)

o

Kathy- I' m going to the dealer today or tomorrow to bring home samples of Alta Vista from their display. I want my sister to see it this weekend. I'll let you know the cost. Suz

o

Excellent - will be following this thread for both estimated price and your impressions once you have the samples home Thanks very much

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here