Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kbmas0n

Where DO you buy your hardwood floor?

kbmas0n
16 years ago

My DH and I were considering getting our HW from LL. Now, after finding the flooring forum and doing a search for LL, I have realized this would NOT be a good idea! Okay, no big deal, fine.

So, where did you buy your hardwood? I'm a little leary with online now (after reading some of THOSE threads), so I would love to hear of some good brands to look for at my local stores or HD.

I thought Bruce was a good brand until I read a thread about using seconds.

Help!

Comments (6)

• kurt_floors
    16 years ago

Floor Focus magazine does a survey of retailers and installers every year. Mirage Hardwood Floors have won in the "best quality" category several times. You will pay a premium price for Mirage floors, but well worth the money.
    Hardwood flooring is going to be an expensive project, regardless, why skimp on the quality. Other notable manufacturers are Homerwood, Lauzon.
    Be very careful of some of the better known names. They are mass produced and mass marketed.
    Good Luck

• boxers
    16 years ago

the suggestion is to try to find a specialty hardwood flooring dealer. Mirage is nice but comes in short lenghts which they don't really advertise. Buying by brand is seldom an endorsement. Everyone these days seem to import a good portion of their lines from overseas so the part they actually make is pretty small. I worked for Bruce and some was USA and other was imported. If you read too many threads on here you will drive yourself crazy. A poster today warned about using Armstrong Laminate, though Consumer Reports rated it as one of the best. Just because one poster drags a refrigerator across laminate and it scratched does not make it the worst of the worst. Dealers get immediate feedback on products from their customers and eventually won't sell certain lines. The big box stores will sell anything they get a deal on, so smaller dealers work with products that don't create complaints. Thats usually a pretty good measure of success.

• glennsfc
    16 years ago

Boxer said: "The big box stores will sell anything they get a deal on, so smaller dealers work with products that don't create complaints."

Very good advice and with the kernel of truth within.

• signe
    16 years ago

I just had my hardwood floors installed over the weekend. I purchased Burma Mahagony 3 1/2" solid wood flooring (prefinished) from Floor and Decor. I also went online to look for this material and found it in a couple of places for less than our local Floor and Decor store. F andD matched the internet price from Emerald Floors ($5 sq ft).

the floors are absolutely gorgeous. I would not hesitate to recommend the material. The manufacturer is Elegance. I ordered some of the trim from Emerald floors and they matched perfectly. Actually, Floor and Decor had to have 36 boxes of the flooring shipped from CA to their Atlanta store where I picked it up. And, I picked up a couple of extra boxes at another Atlanta store. All matched. The wood is not stained, just prefinished.

I highly recommend the brand and think you can buy it online. You can also search for Elegance hardwood and their website has local contacts who can tell you where to buy it.

The installers told me that an equivalent wood at HD would be at least $7 or $8 and would be special order.

I had a bad experience with LL and would definitely not recommend them. I am not impressed with their flooring or their policies. Some of the Bellawood is nice, but they don't have anything in stock. You have to order everything and you cannot cancel an order. If you do, you will get a store credit for your deposit - you can never get your money back from them.

• slk230red
    16 years ago

After shopping around, I decided to purchase 1,000 sq.ft. of Robbins engineered wood flooring from Lowes when they had their 20% off sale. During the installation, I discovered 3 cartons that didn't appear to be of the same quality as the other cartons. I returned the 3 cartons to Lowes and re-ordered 3 new cartons.
    No one questioned my complaint and I was promptly taken care of.

• allison1888
    16 years ago

The answer varies by use. Is this a highly visible area where you want it to look great? If so, ask around among some custom builders and remodeling firms to see who they use. If you want a quick fix, 3-5 year floor and don't want to spend a lot, the big boxes will do just fine. It's always -- you get what you pay for!