Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Direction to lay flooring in narrow room

Posted by myboys1 (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 29, 14 at 11:42

I plan to install laminate flooring in my family room kitchen and dining room and would like it to all flow together. The rooms are open to each other. I would like advice on the direction in which to lay the flooring. The planks are about 5 inches wide.

The family room is long and narrow (11.5' wide X 18.5'long) with the entrance to it being a 5 foot opening from the foyer and front doors of the house. The room extends down long and narrow to the 8 ft. sliding glass doors at the far end. There is one solid long wall on the left side that is 18.5' long. On the opposite side the room opens into the kitchen with a peninsula and open walkway into the kitchen. See attached photo.

Should the flooring run lengthwise meaning south to north and in the direction you would walk into the room from the front door and then out the back door? Or should the flooring run width wise from west to east to make this narrow room not look even longer and narrower like a bowling alley?

Please advice. Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Direction to lay flooring in narrow room

What type of subfloor do you have?

o

Subfloor is plywood. Joists go in the long direction (south to north) so parallel to the long (18.5') wall

o

If this is a floating laminate floor, then any direction would be fine. Without more information or a drawing, difficult to say which way would be more visually pleasing. Most often running the flooring with the length of a room usually looks best, but mitigating factors can be dimensions of adjacent rooms, in your case the kitchen. Also, it is usually best to run from the front to back, otherwise you can get a 'ladder effect' when viewed from the entry door. You can always lay some of the flooring out, see how it looks, and that could help you make the choice that will be most pleasing to you.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here