Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nevermore44

Hardwood Install Question

Nevermore44 - 6a
9 years ago

Hello, I am planning on installing hardwood into our kitchen and have a series of questions as I have started the process. Any help/suggestions/experience would be great!

- The house is 13 years old.
- The existing floor was roll linoleum over a 1/4in luan underlayment which is stapled down (1000's of staples per board) to the 3/4 in OSB subfloor. I have removed the linoleum completely from the luan using a heat gun. It pulled up quite easily, leaving the laun is still in good condition.
- The joists are 16 OC. (accessible in the unfinished basement).
- We have existing hardwood 2.25 in maple in our foyer that is in perfect shape (no squeaking, movement, buckling, etc). Including several years of my boy jumping down the last stairs onto this floor with no ill effect. It appears to have been stapled down.
- The new hardwood that I plan on installing is 3/4 in prefinished birch (3.25 in wide). The high traffic area will have rugs on them. It will be nailed perpendicular to the joists.

Question 1- I am concerned on the holding capabilities of the OSB. Below is an image of the OSB imprint via the basement. I would plan on chalk lining the joists from above, so that I am nailing into them as much as possible. Should I be too concerned knowing the existing hardwood is in good shape?

Question 2- Should I leave the luan on? It would be nice to have the final floor slightly lower in order for there not to be that big of a transition between the adjacent carpeted rooms⦠I will deal with it if it adds much to the holding value of the cleats.

Question 3- I haven't purchased the L-cleats yet⦠but do all cleats come with the glue coating? If not⦠should I opt for it?

Potentially more to come... !

{{gwi:2134541}}

Comments (5)