Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cefreeman_gw

Stuff coming out of the grain?!

CEFreeman
9 years ago

Hello all!

I have beautiful, dark stained oak flooring. It's 4-6" wide planks, "hand planked" (so someone fed it through the machine by hand, I guess) and extremely durable. Actually, for what I've put it through, extremely durable.

That said, I've had my foyer/hall covered in cardboard for a couple of years due to renovations, moving stuff in and out, and to protect it from my own, general carelessness.

I've finally gotten the room and hall painted, and am taking up the cardboard to clean the floor and live like a human being.

I find that under the cardboard, coming out of the grain, are small beads of what look like dried sap, or even what glue looks like when a drop dries. The floor's not glued, and none was used anywhere near it.

Some of it scrapes off with a credit card, but not completely. I noticed where grain is deeper, I'd be gouging into the wood, probably into the finish.

Has anyone seen anything like this?
Is it removable without ruining the finish?
Is the wood "weeping" through the topcoating/clear stuff?

Before anyone asks, I've only got an old cell phone and you cannot see the drops/spots in these pictures, so no. No pics.

I've lived with worse, but this is an incredible floor. It's the nicest thing in my entire house and I'd like to correct the treatment it's evidently received in my efforts to protect it. Thank you all for your thoughts.

Comments (6)