Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
perryrip

Hoskings Hardwoods/The Discount Flooring Company

perryrip
15 years ago

Has anyone dealt with the subject company on purchase of laminate or hardwood flooring? I'm interested in purchasing laminate from them at a very good price, but would like to see some reviews or summary of personal experience with them before I make a buy. Appreciate any feedback.

perryrip

Comments (15)

• madamelcee
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

While remodeling, ran out of hardwood flooring. Purchased cheap untreated flooring & tried to match paint to no avail. Called Hosking to get pricing on hardwood I needed. Sales rep gave price quote & explained since I didn't purchase my previous flooring from them, might be slight color variation. I understood as I knew it wasn't from same "paint batch." She told me to check on invoice that hardwood brand, color, size is correct & then respond acknowledging there’s no returns. Got invoice emailed which stated description of my order, “LAUZON (brand) SOLID MAPLE (wood type) TRAVERTINE (color)” & confirmed. Two weeks later I opened box to see different size, wood type, & colored flooring. Enclosed shipping package shows these are not Lauzon. It looked the same as my initial failed attempt. Called Hosking about the MISTAKE but was told that since Lauzon is so EXPENSIVE, they use CHEAPER 3rd party lumber molding company that uses GENERIC hardwood & ATTEMPTS to paint match. I asked “Why wasn’t I told this BEFORE?” Rep responds “I don’t know what I may or may not have said…” I ASKED for Lauzon, PAID for Lauzon, I should be GETTING Lauzon. Why would I agree to pay for GENERIC, SUBSTITUTED product & be charged same price as the authentic? She was unapologetic & connects me to the owner. He doesn’t answer & unsurprisingly doesn’t return my voice message. I was willing to return INACCURATE order & have correct one sent. Now its been a month so had to resort to disputing charge & informing others about this UNSCRUPULOUS company & their blatant BAIT & SWITCH. I had to order again from QUALITY FLOORING 4 LESS, paid same price & got correct item. Would you buy a FAKE Rolex that is the same cost as the real one? If your answer is no, then AVOID ordering from Hosking!!!

The pics of the invoice of what I expected, the packing slip of what came, and image of Lauzon Solid Maple Travertine & the "generic":

• cpartist
    8 years ago

Because you had a bad experience, stop spamming the forum by pulling up every old thread you can. How rude of you.

• madamelcee
    8 years ago

You know, you CAN just ignore it. My posts are not forcing you to read them. But if you're unable to close the window, scroll past, and must read every single one, then I apologize for the magnetic force of my posts. But you're right, I should have just started a new thread. I'm just typing on fumes...

• PRO
    WeShipFloors
    8 years ago

kingfam,

Very few flooring manufacturers produce their own molding. Odds are Lauzon molding is made by one of he few molding manufacturers for them.

There is a VERY obvious issue from your photograph. Your "generic" stairnose supplied to you by Hosking is made from Maple like your flooring. The "Lauzon" stairnose is made from colored RED OAK and doesn't match your floor at all. So actually, the proper stairnose to use is the Hosking one. You are totally off base slamming them. If the color isn't right, get them to make you another - but go with maple. Oak looks goofy trimming maple - even if it is painted.

Molding is a burr in a side of everyone in the flooring business. I literally have over 100k tied up in molding for products we don't even distribute anymore. I'm very thankful to have molding manufacturers to take that burden off me.

Alan Ward - WeShipFloors.com

• madamelcee
    8 years ago

Lauzon does indeed manufacture their own moldings as I got it afterwards. I could not go with the maple on the right because the rest of the floors are the Lauzon Travertine on the left.

• User
    8 years ago

I'd say both of those moldings in the picture are Maple.

If you don't like the moldings, and they certainly aren't even close to matching, you should be able to return them. I can see your side of the story but I question whether you "paid for Lauzon moldings". Did you buy Lauzon moldings originally? Were they the same price as the generic moldings?

weshipfloors is correct in that moldings are difficult and that many suppliers use moldings from second party suppliers who deal specifically in moldings. They're generally quite good but there are exceptions.

Here's one: https://secure.artfinishes.com/

• PRO
    WeShipFloors
    8 years ago

They may sell/carry a specific molding for their floors - but it is highly doubtful they make this molding themselves. It's a totally different finishing process. I'm not saying there are not a few mills doing it - but the number is very small. Most contract with molding manufacturers to produce the trim for them.

If you were butting up to an existing nosing, I would have advised you to buy it from the same place you bought it the first time.

Each molding manufacturer uses a different profile for its trim pieces. Moldings online hit the same species and color as your floor. How were they to know you were butting up to someone else's nosing?

Alan at WeShipFloors.com

• PRO
    WeShipFloors
    8 years ago

jfcwood,

That left molding sure does look like oak grain to me. I have some mills who use Oak for all their products. I won't even consider shipping them to my customers and so I source them out. I HATE TRIM!!!.....there, I feel better now :)

• madamelcee
    8 years ago

Yes, Lauzon does carry their own moldings & trim. This is a page from their supply brochure with the stair nose molding I did purchase afterwards. And yes, the price was the same (well practically, the generic was $78.63 vs. the Lauzon I got for $78.99).

• Brian Dudley
    8 years ago

I think this should be added to another topic because 4 of them isn't enough...

• PRO
    Hosking Hardwood Flooring
    8 years ago

Regarding MADAMELCEE post

Hosking Hardwood Flooring retails flooring to thousands of
    consumers a year, unfortunately we cannot always satisfy every one of
    them… In an effort to appease this customer we are working with the
    Moulding manufacturer to have her return these moldings for a refund. This
    customer has been sent an e-mail with instructions as to how to return these
    Moulding, but we have not heard back from her. Once these mouldings are
    returned we will credit her account.

Hosking Hardwood comments regarding this consumer’s claim: We are
    sorry that you were confused with our terms and policies to which you agreed
    to. But wonder why you did not order these mouldings from the same company you
    ordered your flooring?

With regards to what your invoice states. -
    The reason the product is listed on the consumers invoice is so that it can be
    matched to what product is available with our suppliers at that time. If the
    product (in this case -Lauzon) was not listed on her invoice which we sent
    directly to the molding manufacturer to supply and ship to our customer, the
    manufacturer would not know what color flooring the consumer has to match the
    mouldings to. There has been NO BAIT AND SWITCH ON OUR PART as
    this customer knew she may be sent substitutions if Lauzon moldings were not available
    at time of order.

Customer agreed to our terms prior to her order being placed. We do not bait
    and switch our customers. It was clearly explained to her that our distributors
    will NOT take back moldings as they are special ordered. And that we may have
    to substitute one brand for another depending on availability. There are many
    other retailers that have same terms.

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: Monday, July 06, 2015 2:08 PM
    To: Crystal <xxxxxXhoskinghardwood XXX>
    Subject: Re: Invoice xxxxxx from Hosking Hardwood Flooring
    XXXhoskinghardwoodXXX

I understand there are no returns on moldings. <----------------
    ~Elizabeth XXXXX

> On Jul 6, 2015, at 1:57 PM, Crystal
    > <xxxxxXhoskinghardwoodXXX>
    wrote:
    >
    > Your invoice is attached showing your order for 15 stairnoses to match
    > the Lauzon Travertine solid. Please take a look at it and make sure
    > the billing/shipping information is correct. If anything needs to be
    > changed, just let me know.
    >
    > Additionally, since you didn't purchase the actual flooring from us, I
    > need to you read and understand our policy (below) on ordering
    > moldings without the flooring. Basically, because hardwood is a
    > natural product, there can be shading differences when the stain is
    applied that we can't control.
    > Additionally, since we didn't sell you the flooring, we can't be sure
    > that it is the actual Travertine you have down. Ultimately, there are
    > no returns on moldings. If any of this is confusing and/or you have
    > questions, just let me know.
    >
    > Thank you for your molding order: due to the possible inherent issues
    > with wood moldings exactly matching your existing wood flooring, we
    > require you to verify our terms of sale for these moldings below:
    >
    > There are few flooring Manufacturers that make their own moldings they
    > are manufactured by other companies that provide that service.
    > Moldings are generic and due to them possibly being from a different
    > die or batch lot they may or may not be an exact match to your
    > flooring color --- especially when trying to match older flooring.
    > Moldings are sold as a complimentary color to that flooring. We
    > suggest installing particular floorboards that best match the molding
    > color next to where the molding is going to be installed for a gradual
    > color match. Moldings may have slight design variations compared to
    > other manufactured moldings. In rare cases of availability issues
    > Hosking Hardwood Flooring reserves the right to substitute one brand
    > for
    another.
    >
    > If these terms of sale are acceptable please click reply to this
    > e-mail message and state that you understand there are No returns on
    moldings.
    >
    > If these terms of sale are Not acceptable please click reply to this
    > e-mail message and state that you want to cancel your molding order.
    >
    > Your Molding order will not be processed until we receive this reply
    > from you.
    >
    > Thank you for your understanding
    > <Inv_xxxxx_from_Hosking_Hardwood_Flooring_XXXhoskinghardwoodXXX_133

• Brian Dudley
    8 years ago

I find it interesting that there's no response on this from madamelcee

• madamelcee
    8 years ago

I agreed to the conditions understanding that since Lauzon does manufacture their own moldings, there would be no difficulty in acquiring them, based in the paragraph stating "There are few flooring Manufacturers that make their own moldings they are
    manufactured by other companies that provide that service...In rare cases of
    availability issues Hosking Hardwood Flooring reserves the right to
    substitute one brand for another." Doesn't that mean that in the case that Lauzon doesn't manufacture their own moldings or theres availability issues, then and only then it would be substituted? Since after those terms of sale, the copy of the invoice attached stated I was getting Lauzon moldings, AND they do indeed manufacture their own:

I agreed I would not be returning them (bear in mind, I thought I was getting Lauzon so I would not have any reason to return).

I decided to go with Hosking because I thought I was getting the best price for Lauzon, not the best price for Lauzon copies...

• madamelcee
    8 years ago

Just wanted to add an update: Hosking has refunded my money after I shipped back the hardwood to moldingsonline (postage was provided). Sorry for the reoccurring posts-from-the-pasts but just wanted to let it be known that the situation has been amended.