Return to the Flooring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Travertine for kitchen: honed & filled, tumbled...?

Posted by bristolsunset (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 7, 12 at 9:19

I usually post in the kitchen forum, but I thought I'd tap into the wisdom of the flooring experts.

We are making choices for a kitchen Reno and are considering the use of travertine for our floors. This will not be ant eat-in kitchen, and there won't be stools at an island. We will use the kitchen for regular family cooking, and we don't have four-legged pets...although we do have two active sons (ages 7 and 9).

We love the look of travertine, but do have some concerns about practicality. Nevertheless, if we go with travertine, would you recommend, honed and filled or tumbled? I am assuming that polished would not make sense in a kitchen.

We welcome any insights. Thank you in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Travertine for kitchen: honed & filled, tumbled...?

Honed & filled would be far more practical in that area. Having said that, Travertine is inherently a bit more pourous and DOES require more maintenance. It will stain. It will scratch. I might suggest you look at a porcelean "look-alike" for that area. Trust this: The Maid Will Love You!

o

Are you someone who will welcome the first spilled Kool-Aid stain that won't come out? The first big etch from the spilled soda? The little line of scratches from the rock that was embedded in the kid's tennis shoe? The chunk of filling that drops out of one of the holes and leaves you with that hole? Will these be "beauty marks" to you?

Or would you prefer that the floor that you install look exactly like the day it was installed 5 years later?

o

Ditto the honed and the questions of aesthetics. We have a light travertine. It hides "regular" dirt way better than I thought, but stains and etches easily.

Also, I would HIGHLY emphasize not going with anything larger than a 12" or 13" square. Ours are 18" and even with the correct sub flooring, etc., we now have have issues with uneven edges. Especially after a couple earthquakes in the past two years causing some house movement.

o

Thank you all so much. Excellent issues to think about.

o

I would only add that the larger tile can be used but is highly dependent on a really FLAT floor. Tile doesn't care about level...it cares about flat. There should be less than 1/4" variation over ten feet, or less than 1/8" over four. Even then, you need a good tile mechanic to do it right.

o

LOVE my honed and filled and sealed floors. I don't really have any scratches or etch marks but lots of dirt from shoes and drops. It sort of blends in but I do have to wash them occasionally. JUSt make sure you have the correct subfloor support for the floors or they will crack. THAT is very important esp in a redo. I will say that I could imagine the holes to get very dark compared to the lighter travertine if you went without honed. Not very pretty after a while as you could not get the dirt out and each wash would make it darker.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Flooring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here